The Best Potato Salad Recipe – creamy and flavorful with just the right amount of spicy.
Best Potato Salad Recipe
I must admit, I’m not a big fan of potato salad. I’m not sure why. I like everything that’s in potato salad, but I just never really liked it all together. Maybe I just needed to find that one best potato salad recipe.
One day I had the potato salad at Famous Dave’s, a fabulous barbecue restaurant. If you’ve never been, I encourage you to try it! Their brisket is my favorite! Anyway. Potato salad. Theirs is amazing. And it’s the first potato salad that I can honestly say that I loved.
I just had to find a way to replicate this for all of our future picnics and events, so I took special care in trying to taste each ingredient. I even made Mr. Gracious taste it and tell me if he tasted anything I missed.
Later that week, I whipped up my own potato salad using the flavor inspiration from Famous Dave’s. It turned out pretty darn close! AND pretty darn tasty! I can honestly say that it’s the best potato salad recipe I’ve ever made or eaten.
Best Potato Salad Recipe
- 3 pounds red potatoes
- 1¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup dill pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 5 hard boiled eggs, finely chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup red onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimientos
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeno pepper (about 1 pepper), seeds removed
- In a large pot, boil potatoes with enough water to cover and boil potatoes just until tender, about 8-15 minutes. Drain when done, and place in a bowl to chill in the refrigerator.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, relish, mustard, and vinegar. Stir mixture until everything is combined.
- Add salt, sugar, and pepper, and stir again to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients, except potatoes, and stir to incorporate.
- Remove potatoes from refrigerator, and cut into half-inch cubes.
- Add potatoes to the mayonnaise mixture and stir to incorporate, fully coating potatoes with mixture.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve. Potato salad is best if chilled overnight before serving.
If you liked this Best Potato Salad Recipe, you might also like:
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.