Cheddar Ham Chowder combines classic ham and cheese into a warm, creamy soup recipe that will warm you up on a chilly day.
Cheddar Ham Chowder
Brrr. It’s officially fall this weekend, and we’re definitely celebrating (and warming up) with this amazing homey Cheddar Ham Chowder.
Cheddar Ham Chowder is a classic combination of salty ham and gooey cheese, mixed together in a soup along with veggies and potatoes. Cheddar Ham Chowder is one of my easiest soup recipes. Simple and to the point. It’s also a great freezer meal. Serve with warm, crusty bread. Mmm…
Cheddar Ham Chowder Recipe
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ of an onion, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz package of cheddar, shredded
- 15 oz can of corn, drained
- 1½ cup cooked ham, cubed
- In a large sauce pan, bring potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, water, and pepper to a boil.
- Reduce heat. Simmer 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a separate medium sauce pan over low heat. Blend in flour. Let the mixture heat for about a minute.
- Slowly pour milk into butter mixture, about a quarter-cup at a time, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle in cheese, and stir until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce into vegetable broth that was set aside earlier.
- Return to low heat. Add corn and ham. Cook until heated through.
- Serve warm with a nice crusty bread
Did you like this Cheddar Ham Chowder Recipe? Find more on my Soup, Crockpot, and Salads & Side Dishes boards on Pinterest!
If you liked this Cheddar Ham Chowder Recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.