Learn how to make the PERFECT homemade Chicken Pot Pie casserole recipe, from start to finish with this delicious recipe. With a golden brown crust and a flavorful, comfort food filling.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is one of my absolute favorite fall dishes. When Mr. Gracious first requested that I try to make it, I was skeptical. It just seemed like such a bland, boring dish. But this recipe is anything but. It’s delicious and flavorful comfort food. Here you will learn how to make homemade chicken pot pie casserole, from start to finish, with a golden brown crust and a flavorful, comfort food filling.
I call this recipe Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, but it’s mostly just a really BIG homemade chicken pot pie. Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is made in a 9″x13′ baking dish, and it’s large enough to feed our family of five with some leftovers. If you are wanting to make a smaller one in a normal pie pan, just halve the recipe.
If you need an amazing pie crust recipe for chicken pot pit, or really any pie, you can use my trusty, no fail, easy, flaky pie crust recipe. You will need a double batch for this homemade chicken pot pie casserole recipe.
This is also a great freezer meal. I always make 2 large ones, throw one in the oven and one in the freezer for another day.
New to the pie-making scene? Here are some helpful Pie Making Resources to make sure all your pies come out perfect and delicious!
- Easy No Fail Pie Crust Recipe – this easy pie crust recipe comes out perfect Every. Time. It’s my grandma’s recipe, and it’s never failed me yet!
- Rolling Out Pie Crust Tutorial – If rolling out your own homemade pie crust makes you nervous, stop right now! This easy step-by-step tutorial will tell you exactly what to do for a perfect pie crust!
- Pretty Ways to Finish Pie Crust Edges – There are so many ways to finish pie crust once you’re done rolling it out to make a truly special pie. Try some of these easy and fun ones this year!
- Must Have Pie Making Supplies – If you love pies, you need these tools so you can make them all the time at home!
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe
- pie crust (Either 4 store bought- 2 tops and 2 bottoms, or check out my No-Fail Pie Crust Recipe. It's super easy and turns out every time. You will need to double the recipe)
- 3 pounds chicken breast
- ground black pepper
- ½ an onion, chopped
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup flour
- 3½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- Season chicken breasts with basil and ground black pepper. Cook in a 350° oven for 20-40, until chicken is cooked through. Shred or chop the chicken after it's cooked. Set aside.
- Prepare pie crust using THIS RECIPE (double it). Refrigerate. If you're using store bought pie crust, make sure it's thawed.
- Melt butter in a stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until they are translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Continue cooking about 2 more minutes, so the flour mixture turns golden (but not browned).
- Slowly add in chicken broth, about ⅓ cup at a time, constantly stirring. Slowly adding it will ensure there are no lumps.
- Add milk and stir. Continue cooking on medium heat, uncovered until sauce thickens. You should be stirring frequently to make sure it doesn't stick to the bottom.
- When sauce is thickened to the consistency of a medium-thick gravy, add chicken and mixed vegetables, and stir to combine.
- Add a pinch of garlic powder and ground black pepper, and about ½ teaspoon basil to the sauce. Stir. Take off heat and set aside.
- Roll out half the pie crust, and lay it in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. Pour in sauce mixture. Roll out the other half of the pie crust and lay it on top.
- Press the top and bottom pie crust together (I use a fork for this part), and trim off the excess dough with a knife. Cut slits in the top to let heat and steam escape.
- With a pastry brush, brush beaten egg over top of pot pie.
- Bake in a 375* oven for 30 minutes, until the top pie crust is firm and browned. Take out of oven and cover with foil (to prevent the top crust from burning).
- Return to oven for another 30 minutes, until both crusts are firm and golden
- Take out of oven and let sit 15-30 minutes to firm.
Did you like this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole recipe? Find more on my Dinner Ideas and Salads & Side Dishes boards on Pinterest!
If you liked this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Recipe, you might also like:
See All Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.