Creamy Southern Coleslaw
This quick and easy homemade Creamy Southern Coleslaw is the perfect combination of creamy, sweet, fresh, and tangy. It makes a delicious side and it's my favorite for pulled pork, too! It is just indescribably good. You have to try it for yourself!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
- 5 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch of onion powder
In a large bowl, add shredded cabbage and carrots. Toss to combine. Set aside
In a second bowl, add remaining ingredients to make dressing. Whisk together until smooth.
Pour dressing mixture over cabbage and carrots. Fold in until dressing is incorporated.
Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight.
Nutrition Facts are for 1/2 cup coleslaw.
- This coleslaw is naturally gluten free. You can also make it dairy free by subbing the sour cream with more mayo or by using coconut cream or plain unsweetened almond or coconut yogurt.
- Low carb or keto? Just take out the sugar and use 1-2 drops stevia instead. If you'd rather not use sour cream as well, just replace it with extra mayo or heavy cream (the lemon juice and vinegar will turn the cream the consistency of sour cream which will work perfectly!)
- Be sure to chill your coleslaw for at least 1-2 hours before serving to let the flavors marry. This is important! It's so much better this way!
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The closer you make it to when you want to serve it, the crisper the cabbage will be. It may be more soft as you approach the 3 day mark.
- To make ahead: (without the cabbage getting soft!) Prepare cabbage with carrots and store in a freezer bag in the refrigerator. Prepare dressing separately and store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Two hours before serving, add cabbage mixture and dressing to a large bowl and mix together. Cover and chill before serving.
Serving: 0.5cups | Calories: 58kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 0g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 139mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 0g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 950IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 0.2mg