Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas with White Sauce Recipe - these cheesy chicken enchiladas with green chiles and white cheese sauce are a quick and easy dinner recipe idea perfect for the whole family. A traditional green chile chicken enchiladas recipe smothered in ooey-gooey melty cheese sauce! Our family loves these, and it's a great freezer meal too!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 5 -7
For the Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas:
- 1 10 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 4 oz can chopped green chiles
- 1 package of taco seasoning or see the ingredients below to make your own homemade taco seasoning for this dish
- 2 1/2 cups pre-cooked chicken chopped or shredded (about 4 medium boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- 1/2 medium onion finely chopped
- 6 tablespoons cilantro finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese
- 10-12 medium tortillas
- *Optional* - 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
For the cheese sauce:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 can evaporated milk or 1 1/2 c half & half or heavy whipping cream. NOT regular milk, which will be too thin
- 2 cups shredded white cheese such as mozzarella or Chihuahua
- 1 4 oz can green chiles
In a large bowl, place cream of chicken soup, sour cream, green chiles, and seasonings. Mix together until combined.
Add the chicken, onion, cilantro, and cheese to your bowl, and stir again to combine.
Fill tortillas with chicken mix. Roll up and place in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. You should have 8-12 enchiladas, depending on what size tortilla you used. I used 8" tortillas.
If you're using the enchilada sauce, pour over the green chile chicken enchiladas now.
Bake in a 350° oven for about 15-25 minutes, or until heated through.
For the cheese sauce: While the green chile chicken enchiladas are baking, melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Add evaporated milk. Heat mixture, but don't bring to a boil. When your evaporated milk is warm-hot, add your shredded cheese, a half cup at a time. Stir until cheese is melted and combined. Repeat until all of the cheese is used. You should be stirring constantly during this time. Add your can of green chiles. Stir and remove from heat. (Using block cheese that you shredded yourself will work MUCH better than buying pre-shredded cheese. Store bought pre-shredded cheese is coated in starch to prevent sticking, which causes the cheese to be a little less cooperative in this process)
Pour your cheese sauce over your baked green chile chicken enchiladas.
Serve warm with additional toppings such as salsa, sour cream, or pico de gallo.