Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks, covered in a perfectly-seasoned crispy coating, are cooked to golden and gooey perfection right in the air fryer at home without any of the mess or hassle of frying oil.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
These Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks are made from scratch and cooked in the air fryer to golden, crispy, and gooey perfection. They are coated in a perfectly crunchy, seasoned coating and made without any of the hassle of deep-frying or messy oils, right at home!
They're easy to make, can be frozen for future use, cheaper than store-bought or restaurant mozza sticks, and just as cheesy and delicious!
How to Cook Frozen Mozzarella Sticks in the Air Fryer
Cooking food in the air fryer can sometimes be a guessing game depending on the size and model of your air fryer. To start experimenting on cooking a new frozen food, I always try 370°F for about 8 minutes. Then check and see if they're done or need longer.
For frozen mozzarella sticks, the optimal time in the air fryer is about 5-8 minutes at 370°F.
How to Keep Mozzarella Sticks from Exploding in the Air Fryer
Mozzarella sticks explode in the air fryer because they were cooked too long.
In this recipe, we prevent this explosion by freezing them so they're nice and chilled. And also start with the lowest cook time and add a minute or two at a time so it doesn't go too long past "done."
If your air fryer is new to you, try cooking one mozzarella stick by itself first to test the cook time before cooking the rest. This way, if it does explode, it's only one and you can cook the next batch better.
Do I Have to Use Mozzarella?
No. Any kind of cheese stick or string cheese will work for this recipe. There are many varieties including cheddar, Colby Jack, or even some fun flavored ones like habanero.
How to Serve Homemade Mozza Sticks
Traditionally, homemade mozza sticks are served with marinara sauce (red pasta sauce). They are most often served as appetizers, but can also be served as a side dish.
If servings these as a side dish, some options to go along with it are a fresh Caesar salad and garlic bread. They can also go well with a protein such as chicken, seafood, or steak.
They can also be served with ranch, and pickled banana peppers do a great job of cleansing the palate and cutting down the richness of the cheese.
More Air Fryer Recipes You'll Love
- Air Fryer Hush Puppies - classic and perfectly seasoned southern hush puppies without the mess of frying oil.
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fritters - classic, perfectly seasoned fritters loaded with zucchini with a crispy outside and tender center.
- Air Fryer Zucchini Fries - zucchini wedges quickly coated in seasoned bread crumbs and air fried to golden perfection
- Air Fryer Crab Cakes - my favorite lump crab cakes cooked in the air fryer with a perfectly crispy exterior and warm, soft inside.
- Air Fryer Jalapeno Poppers - jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese, cheese, and bacon and topped with a crunchy topping.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks Video
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- 8 mozzarella string cheese cut in half to make 2 shorter sticks
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoonb olive oil
- In a small mixing bowl, add eggs and water and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, add flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a third bowl, combine Italian bread crumbs, Panko bread crumbs, and olive oil.
- Dip each mozzarella stick into the egg mixture, the flour mixture, and then back into the egg mixture. Finally, dip a final time into the bread crumb mixture.
- Place on a baking sheet and freeze at least 1 hour (or up to 2 months).
- Place mozzarella sticks in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook at 390°F for 5-7 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve immediately.
- Italian Bread Crumbs: You can also use ½ cup plain bread crumbs with 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning.
- Mozzarella: Mozzarella string cheese holds its shape better when cooked than freshly-cut mozzarella cheese. You can sub freshly cut cheese, but watch them carefully as you may need to slightly alter the cook time.
- Storage: Mozzarella sticks are best enjoyed immediately after making. Store in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Reheat for a couple of minutes in the air fryer.
- Freezer Directions: Transfer prepared, uncooked mozza sticks to a freezer bag (after freezing on a baking sheet in step 5) and freeze them for up to 3 to 6 months. Follow cooking instructions in the recipe when ready to use.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
I have to say, the tip about freezing the sticks before cooking them in the air fryer is genius! Every time I make mozzarella sticks, all the cheese oozes out and I'm just left with the breadcrumb shell. Not fun. This tip is game-changing!
What a great recipe! I had no idea you could make your own mozzarella sticks from string cheese in the air fryer. Our whole family loves these crispy treats!
These mozzarella sticks were so easy to make in the air fryer! I used mozzarella and pepper jack cheese (my favorite!) and they both turned out fantastic. I'll be making this again for sure!
Shadi Hasanzade says
These were amazing! So easy to make and everyone in our house asked when I'm gonna make these again! Thank you!
Great job figuring out this foolproof method! Worked like a charm. Thank you!
Absolutely delicious! They came out crispy and the whole family loved them!
ohhh why didn't I think of freezing them before cooking. brilliant! these are awesome
Great! I get to use my air fryer for your Mozzarella sticks! Thank you!
This appetizer truly has wonderful texture and flavor! The air fryer makes it so easy, too!