Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes are a yummy sponge cake filled with creamy pastry filling, and topped with chocolate ganache.
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
Mr. Gracious talks endlessly about his love for Boston Cream doughnuts. I mean, seriously, the man loves his doughnuts. I was curious to see if he’d feel the same way about Boston Cream Pie, and being more of a cupcake person, I made some Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes.
Let me tell you, these were a huge hit, not just with Mr. Gracious, but with the whole family! These will definitely become a regular in our dessert rotation. I will admit that these Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes are a little time consuming to make, but they are so worth it.
My Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes are a combination of delightful sponge cake, filled with creamy pastry filling, and topped with a wonderful (and easy) chocolate ganache. The ganache recipe is the same one I use for my Raspberry Ganache Thumbprints, except without using the raspberry preserves.
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes Recipe
Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes
For the Cake
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
For the filling
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the Ganache
For the cake:
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and beat again.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed mixture in 3 batches, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat after each addition, just until combined.
- Line a lightly greased muffin pan with cupcake liners and fill each liner 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely
For the Filling:
- In a medium bowl, beat egg yolks well.
- Gradually stir in milk until well blended.
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, mix together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Gradually add in milk mixture, stirring well to prevent lumps.
- Continue cooking over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until mixture reaches a low boil (about 20 minutes).
- Allow to boil, still stirring for 1 MINUTE. Then immediately remove from heat.
- Set pot in a large bowl of ice water, still stirring.
- When mixture has cooled a bit, stir in vanilla.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on filling to prevent a skin from forming and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
To assemble the cupcakes:
- When the cupcakes are cooled completely, transfer pastry cream filling to a piping bag with filling tip attached.
- Fill each cupcake with pastry cream and set aside.
- Prepare the Ganache frosting using this recipe.
- Dip each cupcake into the finished Ganache.
- Allow 30 minutes to an hour for the ganache to set.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.