Neapolitan cupcakes are a perfect nostalgic treat with delicately bitter chocolate and sweet vanilla cupcakes topped with fresh strawberry frosting. You’ll be whisked away to the dreamy days of childhood.
Neapolitan ice cream makes me a little nostalgic, for my childhood and for my grandpa. Neapolitan was my grandpa’s favorite and I’ve heard many stories about him, his beloved Neapolitan treat, and the little thieves that tried to steal it from under his nose (otherwise known as his children and grandchildren). Sadly, my husband and children never had the opportunity to meet my grandpa (or steal his ice cream), but trust me when I say, I’m getting divine pay back from my own three little thieves!
Their latest thievery has been these delightful Neapolitan cupcakes. And I can’t even blame them for it because who could resist them?! Neapolitan cupcakes are the perfect bitter-sweet nostalgic treat with delicately bitter chocolate and creamy sweet vanilla cupcakes topped with a fresh and tangy strawberry buttercream frosting. Make your own now and get whisked back to the dreamy days of your own childhood.
Neapolitan Cupcakes Recipe
For the Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter 3 sticks, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
For the Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and beat again.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix together flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Alternate adding flour mixture and buttermilk to the creamed mixture in 3 batches, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients. Beat after each addition, just until combined.
- Divide the batter in half in two separate bowls. Set one bowl aside. Beat cocoa powder into the batter in the other bowl, until just combined.
- Line a lightly greased muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Fill each section about a third full with chocolate cake batter. Then top the chocolate cake batter with the same amount of vanilla cake batter. Each section should be about 2/3 full.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
If you liked this Neapolitan Cupcakes Recipe, you might also like
See More Cakes & Cupcakes Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.