Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice is the perfect copycat recipe for all Chipotle lovers! With fresh cilantro, bright lime juice, and zesty garlic, you'll want to eat it with everything! Plus, bonus directions for white AND brown rice, on the stove-top, Instant Pot, AND rice cooker!
Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
Calling all Chipotle lovers! I have the recipe you've been waiting for! The basis and foundation of all deliciousness at Chipotle. The Cilantro Lime Rice.
Now, this Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice isn't just good. It's the warm, comfort of rice mixed with fresh cilantro and bright lime juice, with just a little zing from the fresh minced garlic.
Make your own burrito bowl. Eat as a side. Put it IN a burrito. It's so amazing, you'll want to eat it with everything.
The best part? It is SO easy to make! And store. You can even make a big batch and freeze it portions for later (meal prep, ftw!).
I've included stove-top directions for the white cilantro lime rice because I think that's really "the classic." BUT I've also included directions to make the brown rice, as well as Instant Pot and ricecooker directions.
So make this rice however you want, just make it ASAP!
I think making this rice on the stove-top is the best and easiest method, but I've also included Instant Pot and rice cooker directions for the gadget-lovers out there below.
What is the Difference Between White and Brown Rice?
All rice is made up of mostly carbohydrates, little protein and usually no fat.
Brown rice is a whole grain, meaning it contains all parts of the grain including the bran, germ, etc. However, white rice had had the bran and germ removed, leaving it with fewer essential nutrients.
This is why brown rice is generally considered healthier and more nutritious than white rice.
So, What Kind of Rice Should You Use?
You can use whichever kind of rice you prefer in this Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice. I've included directions for white basmati rice (pictured), long grain white rice, long grain brown rice, and brown basmati rice.
Be aware that brown rice does take much longer to cook than white rice (all that extra fiber to soften!).
So, it all comes down to personal taste preference, time constraints, and nutrition concerns. It will turn out delicious no matter what you choose, so the choice is yours!
How to Make Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice in the Instant Pot
Place 1 cup white basmati rice and 1 cup water, plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice, ½ tablespoon lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon minced garlic to the pressure cooker.
Close the lid and set to manual cook on HIGH for 8 minutes.
When the Instant Pot beeps, let it sit for 5 more minutes. After the 5 minutes, using a hot pad, quick release the pressure by turning the steam release valve to vent. Let all of the steam out and carefully remove the lid.
Fluff the rice and stir in the cilantro. Serve warm.
How to Make Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice in a Rice Cooker
Add 1 cup rice to your rice cooker. Fill the water up to the level 1 (for 1 cup of rice).
Add a teaspoon of oil, bay leaf, and a little salt. Close the lid and set to cook.
Once the rice is cooked, open the rice cooker and fluff with a fork. Then transfer to a bowl and add in the cilantro, lime juice, and lemon juice. Taste and add salt to taste. Serve warm and enjoy.
More Recipes You'll Love
- Grilled Cilantro Lime Chicken - summer family favorite!
- Skillet Southwest Smothered Chicken - cheesy and spicy and so good served over this rice!
- Rice and Black Bean Burritos - put the cilantro lime rice inside!
- Easy Chicken Fajitas - can't go wrong a classic! (and one of my all-time favorites!)
Chipotle Cilantro Lime Rice
- 1 cup white basmati rice unrinsed
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt (divided)
- 1-3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- ½ tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Bring 4 cups water to boil in a large pot.
- To boiling water, add rice, 1 teaspoon salt, and bay leaf (or leaves). Stir and return to a boil.
- Boil uncovered for about 12 minutes, until tender.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, drain rice and rinse with hot water. Remove bay leaf as well.
- Transfer rice to a large mixing bowl. Add cilantro, lime juice, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt (or salt to taste). Stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
- My favorite (and in my opinion easiest) way to cook rice is right on the stove-top. However, I have included Instant Pot and rice cooker instructions in the post above.
- This recipe is naturally vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, and dairy free.
- If you want to get really fancy and make the rice just like Chipotle, add the lime and lemon juice to a small spray bottle and spray it on while stirring. This keeps it from being to concentrated in any one spot.
- Store in the refrigerator in an air-tight container.
- To freeze, allow rice to cool. Place in a freezer bag. Rice can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To reheat rice after storing or freezing: sprinkle a teaspoon of water over rice to help loosen stuck or dried grains. Reheat in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds until rice is hot. OR reheat in a pot over medium heat on the stovetop. Stir constantly, but be careful not to mash them.
- If using long grain white or brown rice, rinse before cooking to remove excess starch. To rinse: place rice in a fine mesh sieve or strainer. Run under cool water until the water runs clear.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Kiki Johnson says
I can make this in my Instant Pot? I think I love you!!!! This recipe sounds amazing and will certainly be a new staple!
Shelleen Bowman says
Have you made this in the instant pot? If so what was your rice/liquid ratio and time you cooked it at?
For white basmati rice, you'll want 1:1 so just as much water as rice. Then cook on high pressure for 6-10. For slightly softer rice, add an extra 1/4 cup of liquid.
What a wonderful side to any Mexican dish! I know I'll be making this next time we do Mexican!
Andrea Metlika says
Chipotle and lime are such a flavorful combination. I appreciate your giving so many tips and for giving directions for different types of rice.
Looks so delicious and would make such a great side dish for any dinner or lunch. I love cilantro and chipotle!
Shirley Andrews says
Love it so much! I can eat it warm or even cold
Glad you love it! We do too! It goes with everything
My daughter is obsessed with Chipotle rice, so glad I found your recipe!
Lauren Vavala says
My family is big fans of Chipotle. Love that we can now make this rice at home!
Yes! Been looking for this recipe forever! Cannot wait to try it out -- love cilantro lime rice from Chipotle!
My family loved this cilantro lime rice!! Such a perfect partner for our favorite adobo!
I love that you included different cooking methods. I have always used my rice cooker but I tried using my instant pot. Wow! How easy! Thanks!
I love this rice so much! It is definitely going to be a staple in my house now!! Thank you so much for the recipe 🙂
This is the BEST rice! The lime and cilantro give this rice the perfect flavoring.
umm yes please! I'm always looking for fun ways to spice up my rice. Looking forward to trying this!
Such a delicious and fun twist on rice! Definitely one of our favorite recipes! I'll be making this rice again soon! Definitely a crowd pleaser!
YUM! One of the things I miss most about chipotle!
Shinta Simon says
Loving all the flavors that are in this recipe! Definitely making it later this week, for a family dinner
This looks and sounds so delicious! I have all the ingredients.. Can't wait to make it
Excellent! Will make this again!