Save money, prevent food waste, and bring a little green inside with this easy and cheap DIY Indoor Window Sill Herb Garden for fresh herbs all year long!
Indoor Window Sill Herb Garden
I’m always looking for ways to save money, and one thing that really bothers me is food waste. So it really drives me nuts paying a big bunch for a little bunch of herbs, using only a tiny bit of it, and then ultimately just tossing the rest in the garbage because it inevitably goes bad. So frustrating. Unfortunately, I also can’t just grow fresh herbs outside all year long because I live in the Midwest and it’s just too cold. I really wish I could though!
Getting creative with my options, I decided it might a good idea to make a small indoor window sill herb garden so that I could have fresh herbs all year long that wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg.
Creating your own indoor window sill herb garden is really easy, and will cost you almost nothing!
Here’s how to make it!
Indoor Window Sill Herb Garden Supplies
- Tin cans
- Spray paint (optional, but I used this aqua color if you love it too!)
- Chalkboard labels
- Small herb plants or seed packets to plant your own
- Potting soil
How to Make an Indoor Window Sill Herb Garden
1. Collect your cans. I just peeled off the label, rinsed it out, and then stashed it in the cabinet until I had the right number. I ended up with six cans, but you can use however few or many as you want herb plants. Just pick your favorite herbs and save enough cans to grow them.
2. When you have enough cans, bring them outside in a well-ventilated area to paint. Paint 2 or 3 coats on the outsides and allow to fully dry.
3. Write the names of the herbs on the chalkboard labels, and then stick them on each can. If you have the ones that I linked to in the supply list above, they’re actually stickers, so no gluing necessary. If you need to glue yours, that’s fine too. Just be sure to use a strong glue like Krazy or Gorilla and make sure it’s fully dry before adding your herbs or getting it wet.
4. Place your herb plants into their correct labeled can. Add extra potting soil if necessary. You can also plant your herbs from seeds, if you’d prefer. Follow planting, care, and germination instructions on the seed packet to get the best results.
Yay! Now you have your own personal Indoor Window Sill Herb Garden, that’s not only super cheap and easy to make, but also saves you money at the grocery store and prevents waste!
If you liked this Indoor Window Sill Herb Garden idea, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.