Simple but delicious, this Breaded Chicken with Tomatoes recipe has Parmesan Italian breaded chicken breasts with a zesty tomato sauce to make an amazing dinner.
Breaded Chicken with Tomatoes
I am seriously not a tomato fan, but there’s something about the tang of the tomatoes in this recipe that just goes so perfectly with the chicken. It’s heavenly. Reminds me of a sweet and tangy bruschetta sauce, and adds such a bright flavor to the classic Parmesan breaded chicken.
Despite the long list of ingredients, this Breaded Chicken with Tomatoes recipe is actually pretty easy. Start by pounding out your chicken breasts with a meat tenderizer to about 1/4-inch thick. If your chicken breasts are very large (like most of the chicken breasts I see in stores these days), cut them into separate pieces. Each portion should be about 4-6 ounces and close to the size of your palm before pounding. To cut down on mess, place chicken between two baggies to flatten, or sometimes I’ll even put the chicken in the baggy to do it.
Now it’s time to bread. You need 3 bowls:
- Bowl #1: Flour
- Bowl #2: Beaten eggs
- Bowl #3: Bread crumbs, Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper, whisked together.
Now dip the chicken in each like an assembly line. First dip it in flour, then in eggs, then in the bread crumbs mix. Then just set it aside. This chicken is quickly pan-fried, which I love, especially in the Summer so I don’t have to turn my oven on!
While the chicken is cooking, I like to whip up the tomatoes. It should take just about 5-7 minutes to cook. First, you add oil to a small or medium saucepan (the bigger the pan, the faster it cooks, in my experience). When the oil is hot saute the garlic until fragrant and golden. This wil help cut the bitterness from the garlic and give it a nice sweet flavor. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients, and cook for about 2 more minutes. The tomatoes will just be beginning to burst.
Serve chicken with a scoop of the tomatoes drizzled on top. This breaded chicken with tomatoes goes nicely with pasta or a rice pilaf, and a leafy green salad.
Breaded Chicken with Tomatoes Recipe
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ¾ cup plain bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced basil
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Place chicken in a plastic bag or between 2 thick pieces of plastic and flatten to ¼-inch thick. Set aside.
- Prepare breading ingredients. Place flour and eggs in 2 separate shallow bowls. In a third shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, Parmesan, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Dredge both sides of chicken in flour. Dip in beaten eggs. Then cover in bread crumb mixture and set aside. Repeat for remaining chicken.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to hot skillet and cook on each side for about 3-5 minutes each, until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add vinegar, tomatoes, basil, and sugar. Stir to combine. Cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until heated through.
- Serve chicken topped with a scoop of balsamic tomatoes on top.
Did you like this Breaded Chicken with Tomatoes recipe? Find more on my Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest!
If you liked this Breaded Chicken with Tomatoes recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.