A helpful Cake Flour Substitute guide for when you don’t have any on hand. Simple and easy, with just 2 ingredients, but super effective. Sure to make your cake amazing!
Cake Flour Substitute
Cake flour is something I’ve frankly never even had in my kitchen. I use it so little that I just feel like it would be a waste of money. However, there are some recipes that I make, such as this fantastic Sweet German Chocolate Cake, that call for cake flour, which is a problem since I don’t have it!
Enter my trusty cake flour substitute solution! It’s super easy, uses ingredients already on hand, and your cake turns out perfect.
How to make a Cake Flour Substitute:
The switch is pretty easy. You measure out how much all-purpose flour you need in a mixing bowl. Then for every cup of flour, you remove 2 tablespoons and then add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch back in.
So just to give you an idea if the recipe calls for:
- 1 cup of cake flour, remove 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups of cake flour, remove 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and add 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 cups of cake flour, remove 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup) of all-purpose flour and add 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 1/2 cups of cake flour, remove 5 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and add 5 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 3 cups of cake flour, remove 6 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and add 6 tablespoons of cornstarch
And so on. Make sure to sift the corn starch and the all-purpose flour together, or you can stir with a whisk until they’re incorporated together nicely.
That’s it! No need to buy cake flour with this easy cake flour substitute!
If you liked this Cake Flour Substitute guide, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.