Make this creamy, tangy Homemade Tartar Sauce recipe in just 5 minutes with simple pantry ingredients. It will go perfectly with your favorite fish or seafood. Tangy fresh squeezed lemon and zesty dill relish make this sauce amazing!
Homemade Tartar Sauce
I love making my own sauces. Not just because it's usually a frugal option, but because they just taste so darn much better when they're homemade.
And I promise that's the case with this Homemade Tartar Sauce. We make it every time we're having fish for dinner, or better yet, crab cakes. Mmmm...
Well, no matter what you put it on, it's delicious, and takes just 5 minutes to make.
What is Tartar Sauce?
Tartar sauce is a cold sauce, usually served with fish or seafood. It's mayo based and usually contains some type of chopped pickles, relish, and/or capers.
This recipe uses dill relish and sweet relish with a squeeze of lemon juice for extra tang.
We usually think of serving tartar sauce with fish, but it can also be used as a yummy chip or french fry dip.
What to Eat with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Baked Catfish Nuggets
- Lemon Pepper Baked Catfish - super easy!
- Lump Crab Cakes
- Cajun Baked Catfish
- Beer Battered Fish - my favorite!
Homemade Tartar Sauce Video
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Transfer to a jar or bowl with a lid, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve cool with your favorite fish.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. This allows the ingredients to really marry and the flavors to really deepen and combine. I like to make mine the day before to really let the flavors meld.
- This recipe makes about 21 tablespoons total, which makes about 10 (two tablespoon) servings. The nutrition information is for one (2 tablespoon) serving.
- Fresh squeezed lemon is best in this recipe!
- To add even more fresh flavor, you can add a little fresh dill, about 2 teaspoons.
- Customize it to your tastes! Add a little fresh dill, some finely chopped capers, or some fresh chives or parsley.
- Homemade Tartar Sauce can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
UPDATE NOTES: This recipe was originally published April 2016. It
was republished with an updated recipe, new photos, step by step instructions, and tips January 2019.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!