Make this creamy, tangy Homemade Tartar Sauce recipe in just 5 minutes with simple pantry ingredients. It will go perfectly with your favorite fish or seafood. Tangy fresh squeezed lemon and zesty dill relish make this sauce amazing!
Homemade Tartar Sauce
I love making my own sauces. Not just because it's usually a frugal option, but because they just taste so darn much better when they're homemade.
And I promise that's the case with this Homemade Tartar Sauce. We make it every time we're having fish for dinner, or better yet, crab cakes. Mmmm...
Well, no matter what you put it on, it's delicious, and takes just 5 minutes to make.
What is Tartar Sauce?
Tartar sauce is a cold sauce, usually served with fish or seafood. It's mayo based and usually contains some type of chopped pickles, relish, and/or capers.
This recipe uses dill relish and sweet relish with a squeeze of lemon juice for extra tang.
We usually think of serving tartar sauce with fish, but it can also be used as a yummy chip or french fry dip.
What to Eat with Homemade Tartar Sauce
- Baked Catfish Nuggets
- Lemon Pepper Baked Catfish - super easy!
- Lump Crab Cakes
- Cajun Baked Catfish
- Beer Battered Fish - my favorite!
Homemade Tartar Sauce Video
Homemade Tartar Sauce
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons dill relish
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all ingredients.
- Transfer to a jar or bowl with a lid, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve cool with your favorite fish.
- For best results, cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. This allows the ingredients to really marry and the flavors to really deepen and combine. I like to make mine the day before to really let the flavors meld.
- This recipe makes about 21 tablespoons total, which makes about 10 (two tablespoon) servings. The nutrition information is for one (2 tablespoon) serving.
- Fresh squeezed lemon is best in this recipe!
- To add even more fresh flavor, you can add a little fresh dill, about 2 teaspoons.
- Customize it to your tastes! Add a little fresh dill, some finely chopped capers, or some fresh chives or parsley.
- Homemade Tartar Sauce can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to a week.
UPDATE NOTES: This recipe was originally published April 2016. It
was republished with an updated recipe, new photos, step by step instructions, and tips January 2019.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Pamela Lutrell says
I will use this one! Thanks for sharing with the Thursday Blog Hop!
Homemade tartar sauce is the best, especially when I have fresh lemon and fresh dill to make the sauce, 100x better than store-bought!
Made this today for my husband. He is a HUGE tartar sauce fan. It was a hit. He said 5 stars all the way!
Emily Liao says
This tartar sauce was so easy to make, and delicious. Won't be using store-bought now.
Kelly Anthony says
I couldn't agree more that homemade sauces are just so much better than storebought. I can't wait to give this recipe a try.
I've only ever had store bought tartar sauce and was never a big fan, but this recipe made me a convert.
We love making our own with homemade fish fingers. So creamy and delicious.
Nart at Cooking with Nart says
Tried this recipe and it was absolutely delicious. Will be making this again!
The starter sauce looks super easy, simple, and delicious! I so appreciate recipes with few ingredients 🙂
Love this recipe! It was super easy and had such great flavor! Will definitely be making again!
My husband makes his like this and adds a little hot sauce…delicious! Never need to buy the store version anymore.
It's great to have a simple recipe like this on hand for fish recipes. I can't eat fried fish without a little bit of tartar sauce - it's a requirement 🙂
Homemade tartar sauce is so delicious! Will be making it soon, to serve with fish.
We made crab cakes today and I was out of tartar sauce. I found this recipe and had all the ingredients. It’s absolutely delicious!
I love how easily this tartar sauce comes together! Definitely better homemade and sounds perfect paired with seafood. Yum!
I love tartar sauce, but have never thought of making my own! Can't wait to try this recipe out!
Pam Greer says
I had no idea it was so easy to make tartar sauce! No more little jars of it going bad in the fridge!
Claudia Lamascolo says
this looks spot on perfect! Love me some with my fish fry this weekend!
Jennifer Allen says
This is my go-to recipe for tartar sauce! I make it whenever we have a fish fry. The dill relish gives it such a nice tang!
Yum! So delicious and one of my favorites! We had fish for dinner last night and this sauce was amazing with it! Definitely a recipe to save! Thanks!
We really liked the recipe.
Shannon W says
Better than any store bought!! This is always a crowd favorite!! Makes my kids CRAVE Fish!! Thank You!!
So glad your family loves it!
I do this recipe I also add a spoon full of dice jalapenos for that kick wonderful!!!
Oh, that sounds excellent!