A classic and a favorite, this Parmesan Vegetable Tian recipe uses Summer vegetables, onions, and garlic baked together in the oven and topped with melted, golden Parmesan cheese for an amazing side dish.
Parmesan Vegetable Tian
One of my favorite foods in the summer is fresh zucchini and yellow squash. We grow it in our garden every year, and the kids love watching them grow and picking them when they’re ready. And I love making this delicious Parmesan Vegetable Tian recipe. I do not have words to describe how delicious it is, so you need to try it for yourself. ASAP. Fragrant onions and garlic, sweet zucchini and squash, comforting potatoes, and a mild bitter bite from a golden Parmesan cheese topping. Dinner perfection. And I would eat it all myself if my family didn’t try to fight me for it!
A couple helpful hints before you get cooking. I used to make this recipe by caramelizing the onions in the baking dish by just baking them for an hour by itself, but it took FOREVER. So I’ve switched over to a quick saute, and the recipe remains equally as delicious and only takes half as long to make.
The recipe calls for 1-2 of the veggies. How much you will actually need will depend on the size of your dish and the size of your veggies. But if you end up with too many, you can always place leftovers in a baggy and make this recipe again the next night for dinner. OR you can whip up a quick Sauteed Squash and Zucchini recipe (which is another one of my Summer favorites).
Parmesan Vegetable Tian Recipe
Parmesan Vegetable Tian
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 1 large sweet yellow onion cut in half and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 russet or red potatoes scrubbed, unpeeled, and thinly sliced
- 2 zucchini thinly sliced
- 2 yellow squash thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add onions and saute until tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic to the skillet and saute for an additional minute until fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Spread the onion mixture in the bottom of an 8 or 9 inch baking dish. (I just use my standard 9-inch pie dish).
- Layer potato slices, zucchini slices, and squash slices alternately on top of onion mixture in baking dish. Fit them tightly into a spiral pattern in a single layer in the dish. (Depending on how large the vegetable were, you may have extra. I just place the extra in a baggy and use it to make some more for vegetable tian for the next night.)
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cover and bake at 375° for about 35 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle Parmesan on top. Bake for an additional 15-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and slightly browned.
Did you like this Parmesan Vegetable Tian recipe? Find more on my Side Dishes board on Pinterest!
If you liked this Parmesan Vegetable Tian recipe, you might also like
See More Side Dishes Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.