This Taco Bake Casserole recipe makes family taco night even more delicious with gooey cheese, crunchy tortilla chips, and perfectly seasoned taco meat.
Taco Bake Casserole
This Taco Bake Casserole is a delicious memory of my husband's childhood. He talked about it frequently, and finally his mom made it for us. It was delicious! So we got the Taco Bake Casserole recipe, made a few tweaks to accommodate the fact that my 2 preschool boys eat like teenage boys, especially on taco night (Seriously, it's like feeding an army... I'm pretty nervous about when they actually are teenagers...), and came up with this yummy, gooey, crunchy version of Taco Bake Casserole.
Taco Bake Casserole is a super simple recipe to make. I like to make my own taco seasoning and use fresh onions and garlic for even more flavor. But you can absolutely omit the onions and garlic and all the seasonings I listed for store-bought taco seasoning. You'll need enough for 2 pounds of ground beef.
If you're freezing this Taco Bake Casserole, follow the directions up to step 10. Don't bake it. Just allow to cool to room temp. Then cover and freeze until ready for use. When you're ready to use the Taco Bake Casserole, just thaw and bake (same temperature, same amount of time).
- You can find MORE Freezer Meals HERE
Taco Bake Casserole Recipe
Taco Bake Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ medium onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 10.75 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 10 ounce can red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2-3 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 large bag tortilla chips
- Put your ground beef, onion, and garlic in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat until the meat is browned.
- While you're waiting for the ground beef to brown, mix the rest of your spices in a small bowl. This will be your seasoning.
- When the meat is done cooking, drain and then return to the skillet.
- Add your spices and stir until all your beef is covered. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, place both soups, enchilada sauce, milk, and sour cream. Stir until combined, smooth, and creamy.
- Stir in seasoned ground beef. Allow to warm while you prepare the baking dish.
- Lightly grease a 9" x 13" baking dish. Lightly crumble about ⅔ of the tortilla chips. You want them smaller than a normal tortilla chip, but bigger than the crumbs you find at the bottom of the bag.
- Pour ground beef mixture over chips and spread evenly.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Then crumble the remaining chips and sprinkle those on top of the cheese
- Bake in a 350° oven for about 20 minutes, until cheese is melted and bubbly and the dish is heated through.
- Serve warm with additional toppings, if desired, such as extra sour cream, pico de gallo, and guacamole.
Did you like this Taco Bake Casserole Recipe? Find more on my Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest!
If you liked this Taco Bake Casserole Recipe you might also like
Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas
See More Mexican-Inspired Recipes
See More Casserole Recipes
Browse All Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
I'm worried about when my little one is a teenager too! He is two now and can keep up with us some meals (and we aren't light eaters!) He burns it off though, that is for sure! This looks delicious. We will have to try it!
All that's Jas says
Casseroles are my all time favorite! Thanks for joining the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop and have a blessed weekend!