Quick, easy, and adorable Toothless Cupcakes that are perfect for a How to Train Your Dragon birthday party and your Dragon-Trainer-In-Training will love!
Last year we had a special How to Train Your Dragon birthday party for our 5 year old (I still can’t believe he’s 5!) For birthdays each year, I’ll make a big cake to celebrate on their actual birthday, and then we also bring treats to school. I was planning on keeping it super simple for school treats, but my little guy insisted we stay with our How to Train Your Dragon theme.
Well, thankfully, I was able to make us both happy by whipping up these ridiculously easy Toothless Cupcakes! And in case you’re in the same predicament, I wanted to share! These adorable Toothless Cupcakes pack a lot of bang for minimal effort.
So let’s get down to it. Here’s what you’ll need to make your own Toothless Cupcakes:
Supplies for Toothless Cupcakes
- A batch of your favorite cupcakes
- A double recipe of Homemade Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Black Food Coloring (I prefer Wilton’s)
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pastry Bags (Those are my favorite! I haven’t had one split on me yet, and they’re very easy to use)
- 1M or 2D Cake Decorating Tip
- Yellow or Green Edible Eyes (I used these Wilton edible eyes, but I ended up needing 4 packages of them for 30 cupcakes. So I found these other ones that might be a better and cheaper bet.)
Directions for Toothless Cupcakes
1. Add the cocoa powder to your buttercream and beat well. Adding cocoa powder to frosting when you want to dye it black will help you achieve a more “true black” instead of that purple-ish gray-ish color you sometimes get.
2. Add black food coloring to the frosting and mix well. Add until your frosting is your desired color. If you’re getting a purple-y color, you can add another tablespoon or two of cocoa powder.
4. Frost the cupcakes using the “rose technique.” If you’ve never heard of this, it’s really simple. You basically just start frosting in the center of the cupcake and spiral outwards until the entire cupcake is covered.
5. When your cupcakes are frosted, place 2 edible eyes on each one.
Simple, quick, easy, and adorable Toothless Cupcakes that your kiddo will love! Enjoy!
If you liked this Toothless Cupcakes tutorial, you might also like
See More Cake & Cupcakes Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.