Best Books for Preschoolers- A list of the very best books for preschoolers, and our kids' absolute favorite books.
Best Books for Preschoolers
A while back, I wrote about the Best Books for Toddlers. While I still have one toddler left, my other two have graduated to "preschooler." It's so bittersweet. They're growing up so fast! And of course, I'm dealing with the infamous "three-nager" for the second year in a row (My boys are almost Irish Twins, you can read more about how that works for us, if you're interested). But I'm also really enjoying some parts of preschooler-dom. They can hold better conversations and ask relevant thought-provoking questions. I also really enjoy that they have slightly longer attention spans and are way more interested and engaged in reading than they were as toddlers.
List of the Best Books for Preschoolers
Here is my list of the Best Books for Preschoolers. These books have high ratings from other parents, but they've also been tested and approved in our own house. I hope your kids have as much fun with them as mine do.
1. Caps for Sale: A Tale of a Peddler by Esphyr Slobodkina
2. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
3. Angelina Ballerina by Katharine Holabird
4. But No Elephants by Jerry Smath
5. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs by Judi Barrett
6. Go, Train, Go! by Rev. W Awdry
7. The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
8. Corduroy by Don Freeman
9. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson
10. If You Give a Mouse a Cookie by Laura Joffe Numeroff- This is actually a whole series, and all of them are fun!
11. The Gruffalo by Julia Donaldson
12. The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn
13. Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans
14. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch
15. The Little Red Hen by Diane Muldrow
16. Oh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. Seuss
17. Put Me in the Zoo by Robert Lopshire
18. On the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman
19. The Poky Little Puppy by Janette Sebring Lowrey
20. The Rainbow Fish by Marcus Pfister
21. The Tiny Seed by Eric Carle
22. The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams
23. The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown
24. Waking Dragons by Jane Yolen
25. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Did you like these Best Books for Preschoolers? Find more on my Parenting and Kids Crafts & Activities boards on Pinterest!
If you liked these Best Books for Preschoolers you might also like
Best Thanksgiving Books for Preschoolers
Best Christmas Books for Children
More Parenting Ideas
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Photo Credits: DollarPhotoClub.com and Canva.com
Kristina & Millie says
so many of my favs! Often I wanted to go off and read my own books but I did take the time to read at least one book each night to my kids and it sure shows now! we are all bookaholics! Thanks for sharing this great list of books with us at Snickerdoodle, you sure brought back some fond memories!
Thank you! I remember many of these from my own childhood as well. But a classic's a classic for a reason, right?!
Thanks for sharing this list! We love reading, and I was needing some ideas for new library books! My toddler thanks you 🙂
Haha! Thanks! We have a Toddler Book list too, if your toddler is interested 😉
Lynne Streeter Childress says
I LOVE your choices. "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible..." is one of my favorites!! Plus, I was in the original production of the stage version at the Kennedy Center in DC. Has a special place in my heart.
That's so cool!
Kelsey Ferguson says
What a great list! Today's my little guy's 3rd birthday, and I have been wanting to update his little library. I'm so glad I found your post on A Mama's Story. 🙂
Aww. Happy birthday to your little guy! And 3 was the magic number for us needing a library upgrade. Definitely loving all the story books we have now! So much more fun than the basic board books we had for toddler-dom.
Thank you for sharing this list! These are all great books for young children, I have two young nieces and this is perfect for reminding me great books to pick up for them. I saw this linked up at A Little Bird Told Me Link Party. I'm glad I checked it out!
Oh so many great ones listed here! And some I now need to check out. Found you over on A Little R&R Wednesdays. Thanks for sharing!
Candace Allan says
So fun to find new favourites for my grandkids and to see the tried and true on this list, too. Saw this on the Thursday Blog Hop.
So many great books here! My two all time favorite are The Giving Tree and Where the Wild Things Are. Thanks for all the new suggestions, too!