This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #KreateMyHappy #CollectiveBias
Caramel-Topped Rice Krispies with Maple Glaze - Rice Krispies Treats covered in a simple caramel sauce and drizzled in a decadent maple glaze.
Caramel-Topped Rice Krispies with Maple Glaze
Okay, folks. Today I want to share a tasty snack, just for YOU. A hide-in-your-closet, lock-yourself-in-the-bathroom-while-the-kids-are-shouting kind of delicious snack. Yes, it's really that good. Everyone needs a delightful pick-me-up treat, and if you're having one of "those" days, I suggest you whip up a batch of these Caramel-Topped Rice Krispies with Maple Glaze to lighten your load.
As it happens, I was having one of those days when I came up with this recipe. The kids were bouncing off the walls (I'm pretty sure they were actually trying to tear them down, but who knows?), the house was a wreck, and frankly, so was I. Finally, I decided it was time to pile into the car for a reprieve, and possibly a distraction.
We ended up at our local grocery store, Berkots, mostly because we live in a small town, so there's not a whole lot going on here, especially when it's cold. As we strolled (well, I was trying to stroll, the kids were still bouncing...) through the aisles, I decided I needed to treat myself a little to help better my mood.
While we were in the cereal aisle, I grabbed a box of Rice Krispies Treats, right next to the other cereal snacks. Thankfully, my kids didn't notice because they were distracted by all the colorful boxes in that particular aisle. I also grabbed the other ingredients that I needed while we were there: sweetened condensed milk, butter, caramel, maple syrup, and powdered sugar. Now I was excited to get home!
When we arrived back home, I immediately got to work on my yummy snack-project.
First, I unwrapped the Rice Krispies Treats and placed them, closely packed in a square 9"x9" baking dish. This was mostly to prevent a sticky mess, which will come in the next step.
Then, I melted half a stick of butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, then added the sweetened condensed milk. I heated it for a minute or two, not to a boil but just enough to make it hot. Now, it's time for adding the caramels! Just stir them in until they're melted and smooth, then remove from heat.
Pour the ooey-gooey caramel over the Rice Krispies Treats and spread as evenly as possible. It's okay if it doesn't look perfectly smooth. It will even itself out pretty well. Let the caramel set for a bit. I popped it in the fridge to speed up the process.
When the caramel was set, my Rice Krispies Treats were stuck together, so I went back and cut them apart so that I had individual treats again.
Now it's time for the maple glaze! This part is super easy, and you can do it in the microwave. So, place two tablespoons of butter and the maple syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Pop it in the microwave for 30-ish seconds, or until the butter is melted. Whisk in the powdered sugar until the mixture is smooth. Immediately, drizzle over the Caramel-Topped Rice Krispies Treats.
You can eat these immediately. Mr. Gracious loves them even more when they're slightly chilled, so you might try it that way too. Pack them all up, run to your quiet place, and enjoy your afternoon pick-me-up.
Caramel-Topped Rice Krispies with Maple Glaze Recipe
Caramel-Topped Rice Krispies with Maple Glaze
- 1 8 count box Rice Krispies Treats
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tablespoons butter divided
- ½ bag caramels about 16-18 pieces
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Line up your unwrapped Rice Krispies Treats in a small baking dish. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
- Add sweetened condensed milk. Allow it to heat up for a minute or two, but not to a boil.
- Add caramels, and stir until the caramels are melted and the mixture is smooth and creamy. Remove from heat.
- Pour caramel mixture over the Rice Krispies treats, and spread, if necessary.
- Chill for 15-30 minutes, until the caramel sets.
- When the caramel has set, remove from refrigerator, and separate the Rice Krispies Treats if the caramel made them stick together.
- In a medium microwaveable bowl, add maple syrup and 2 tablespoons of butter. Warm in the microwave in 45 second intervals, stirring between each interval until the mixture is hot and the butter is melted.
- Whisk in powdered sugar.
- Immediately drizzle onto caramel-topped Rice Krispies Treats.
- You can eat these immediately, since the glaze sets pretty quickly.
If you liked this Caramel Topped Rice Krispies recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.