Cheeseburger soup is packed with juicy ground beef, tender potatoes, and veggies in a thick, creamy, and cheesy soup. Everything you love about a cheeseburger in one warm bowl.
I love soup! More specifically, I love creamy soup. Thick, creamy, cheesy soup. It's basically the only thing I like about cold weather. I have lots of creamy, cheesy soup recipes, but this Cheeseburger Soup recipe is probably our favorite.
My kids Cheeseburger Soup so much that he asks me to make it during the Summer. And who could blame them?!
Cheeseburger Soup has all the elements of the perfect cheeseburger including juicy ground beef and gooey cheese combined together in rich, thick soup with lots of potatoes and veggies (which is another reason I love soup. My kids gobble down all their veggies and don't even know there was any nutrition to the dinner at all!).
Variations on Cheeseburger Soup
Just like building your own cheeseburger, you can build your own cheeseburger soup. Here are some variations to try if you're looking for some new flavors for your soup.
- Green chiles. Add a little southwest flavor with a can of these.
- Red pepper flakes. If you like it spicy, add some red pepper flakes when you're browning the ground beef.
- Different meats. Try using ground turkey, chicken, or sausage instead of beef for a slightly different flavor.
- Bacon. Because who doesn't love a bacon cheeseburger?!
Cheeseburger Soup Toppings and Garnish
Whatever you like to put on your cheeseburger, you can put on this soup. Like it plain? No problem. It's absolutely delicious that way too. Here are some topping and garnish ideas.
- Green onions
- Fresh Herbs such as parsley or cilantro
What to Serve with Cheeseburger Soup
Cheeseburger Soup is such a hearty soup that it makes a meal by itself! Serve your Cheeseburger Soup with a fresh green salad and a warm crusty piece of bread.
You can also serve it with steamed broccoli for a warm vegetable, raw baby carrots and other crudites, or a fresh coleslaw to add a little summer cookout flavor to this winter meal.
More Hearty Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Cheesy Potato Soup - creamy, thick soup packed with tender, warm potatoes.
- Split Pea Soup - a soup so delicious and creamy, you won't even believe it doesn't have any cream!
- Panera Broccoli Cheddar Soup - a copycat recipe of everyone's favorite Panera soup!
- Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder - savory ham and sweet corn in a cheesy, creamy soup.
- Zuppa Toscana - simple creamy soup with spicy Italian sausage, tender potatoes, and fresh kale.
Cheeseburger Soup Video
- ½ pound ground beef
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- ½ large onion chopped
- ¾ cup carrot chopped or shredded
- ¾ cup celery finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 4 ounces Velveeta cubed
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, basil, and parsley. Allow to cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, brown ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Continue until cooked through, drain, and set aside.
- When the vegetables are ready, add chicken broth, potatoes, and beef. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour. Stir to combine, and allow to continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, about a ¼ cup at a time, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Allow the mixture to heat through, then add Velveeta and shredded cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Add cheese mixture to soup mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with desired toppings such as bacon or green onions.
- What kind of potatoes should I use? I typically use soft Russet potatoes in soups, rather than firmer waxy potatoes.
- Do I have to use Velveeta? Nope. We like to use it because it's similar to American cheese, which you find on lots of burgers. It also adds extra creaminess to the soup. If you want to skip the Velveeta, add some extra freshly grated cheese.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in a pot on the stove over medium heat or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
- Freezer Directions: Prepare soup according to recipe instructions. Allow to cool. Then transfer to a freezer dish or bag. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in a large stockpot over medium heat.
UPDATE INFO: This recipe was originally published in January 2015. It was updated with new pictures, tips, and video and republished in October 2022.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Jennifer S. says
This looks fabulous. I know my children would love it.
[email protected] says
This would be perfect on a cold winters night!! Love this recipe!! I would love for you to stop by again and share your stuff at my Link Party...it's still open!! http://www.cookinandcraftin.com/my-2-favorite-things-on-thursday-link-party-4/
Carrie Robinson says
I just love how hearty and comforting this soup is! I know my family would just love this. 🙂
Cheeseburger soup has always been a favorite of mine, so I was so glad to come across this recipe! It came out perfect!
omg what a great idea! this Cheeseburger soup was super cheesy and hit the spot
Making this soup to go in my bread bowl. Yummmm!
Cathie C says
Easy, hearty, pretty healthy & delicious! I didn’t have Velveeta so subbed a can of cream of chicken soup (undiluted). Still creamy enough, and turned out delicious! Thanks ☺️
My whole family LOVED this soup which is rare. Thank you for such an amazing recipe!
This was such a hearty and super tasty soup! I can't wait to make again!
Two words - comfort food! Delicious, very filling and simply perfect for cold winter evenings!
Amanda Wren-Grimwood says
This soup looks perfect for a winters day and so filling too. Just need a big hunk of bread!
Can you cook this in the crockpot?
Yes, it can cook in the crockpot. Just make and stir in the cheese sauce portion before serving.