Cheeseburger Soup has all your favorite parts about a cheeseburger, including ground beef, cheese, and bacon, all in one rich, creamy soup with potatoes.
I love soup! More specifically, I love creamy soup. Thick, creamy, cheesy soup. It’s basically the only thing I like about cold weather. I have lots of creamy, cheesy soup recipes, but this Cheeseburger Soup recipe from Taste of Home is probably our favorite.
The Boss likes Cheeseburger Soup so much that he asks me to make it during the Summer. And who could blame him?! Cheeseburger Soup has all the elements of the perfect cheeseburger combined together in rich, thick soup with lots of potatoes and veggies (which is another reason I love soup. My kids scarf down all their veggies and don’t even know there was any nutrition to the dinner at all!).
To complete you Cheeseburger Soup dinner, serve with a hearty portion of warm, buttery, crusty bread.
Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3/4 cup carrot chopped or shredded
- 3/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4-5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces Velveeta
- 8 ounces about 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: sour cream and/or bacon
- In a large stockpot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, basil, and parsley. Allow to cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, brown ground beef in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Continue until cooked through, drain, and set aside.
- When the vegetables are ready, add chicken broth, potatoes, and beef. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour. Stir to combine, and allow to continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, about a 1/4 cup at a time, stirring to prevent lumps. Allow the mixture to heat through, then add to your soup mixture.
- Bring your soup mixture back to a low simmer, then add your Velveeta and cheese, a little at a time. Stir mixture until cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with sour cream and bacon, if desired.
If you liked this Cheeseburger Soup recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.