Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder combines classic ham and cheese, with hearty potatoes and sweet corn into a warm and creamy chowder that is perfect for cold days.
Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder
Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder is a classic combination of salty ham and gooey cheese, mixed together in a soup along with veggies and potatoes. It is one of my easiest soup recipes. Simple and to the point.
It's a great use for leftover ham. I'll even make a ham for dinner on a weeknight, so we can use the leftovers in this recipe. So be sure to make extra ham on holidays and ham night!
What's the Difference Between Soup and Chowder?
Soups can be a hot or cold dish that generally incorporates a significant amount of liquid or broth. Soups also contain different vegetables and sometimes even meat.
Unlike stews, soups have the meat, veggies, and other ingredients chopped into bite-sized pieces, or even pureed. Stews have chunky pieces.
Chowder is a type of thick and creamy soup. It usually includes potatoes and cream or a roux, which is a thick creamy mixture of butter, flour, and milk or cream.
This ham and corn chowder recipe contains potatoes like a traditional chowder, as well as a roux.
What to Serve with Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder
This chowder is packed with meat, potatoes, and veggies, and is very filling. I usually serve it with a fresh green salad and a piece of warm crusty bread.
It's also delicious with these Cheddar Bay Biscuits or a grilled cheese sandwich.
More Warm Soup Recipes You'll Love
- Split Pea Soup - creamy peas cooked with salty ham and fresh herbs for a healthy and delicious soup.
- Cheeseburger Soup - our whole family's favorite soup! Cheesy and delicious!
- Chicken Tortilla Chowder - a ridiculously easy soup that comes together in 30 minutes!
- Homemade Vegetable Soup - healthy soup packed with veggies in a zesty tomato broth.
- Cheesy Potato Soup - a warm comforting classic with gooey cheese and soft potatoes.
Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder
- 2 cups potatoes peeled and cubed
- ½ cup carrots peeled and chopped
- ½ cup celery chopped
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 8 oz cheddar shredded
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15 ounces) drained
- 1½ cup cooked diced ham
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and chicken broth. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a separate medium sauce pan over low heat. Blend in flour. Let the mixture heat for about a minute.
- Slowly pour milk into butter mixture, about a quarter-cup at a time, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture thickens.
- Sprinkle in cheese, and stir until melted.
- Pour cheese sauce into vegetable broth that was set aside earlier.
- Return broth and cheese mixture to low heat. Add corn and ham. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until heated through.
- Serve warm with a nice crusty bread.
- Top your chowder with a dollop of sour cream, crispy crumbled bacon, and some chives to make it extra pretty and more flavorful.
- For more pork flavor, boil the vegetables with a ham bone or ham hock. Remove before adding the cheese sauce.
- What kind of potatoes? I typically use Russets or Idahos because they are softer and non-waxy (like reds and golds).
- Storage: Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5-7 days. Reheat in a microwave safe bowl in the microwave.
- Freezer Directions: Prepare according to recipe directions. Allow soup to come to room temperature before transferring to a freezer bag or dish. When ready to use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Once thawed, transfer to a large pot and heat over the stove until heated through and ready to serve.
UPDATE INFO: This post was originally published in September 2014. It has been updated with new pictures, video, and detailed cooking tips and republished in January 2020.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
This looks delish - I could seriously have some right now!
Looks tasty! Great for a cold Fall night. Thanks for sharing at the Fantabulous Fall Favorites
This looks so tasty and yummy for fall. Love the ham. My hubby will love. Pinning.
This looks delish!! Perfect for the cold weather coming 🙂
Thanks for sharing!
You had me at cheesy. This looks like delicious comfort food.
Wow! Looks so comforting and delicious, saving for later! 🙂
Made this for the family and it was a hit!
Paula Montenegro says
This is such a great chowder, super flavorful and comforting! We love it on chilly weeknights and to have frozen at all times. Lovely recipe!
My new favorite soup! Perfect for a cold winters' day to warm you up!
You had me at HAM!I love leftover ham for soup too - thanks for the inspiration. Looks perfect for tonight's dinner.
This looks so flavorful and cheesy. Comfort food with a twist.
Lisa | Garlic & Zest says
The cheesy bechamel you've added to your chowder is off the hook! This must taste incredible. Will make it for my husband -- he'll be in heaven.
Patty at Spoonabilities says
This is the ultimate comfort food for sure! Corn chowder at its finest right here!
Your chowder looks amazing!! I'm surely gonna try it thank you 😀
Now this is my kind of comfort food. A great way to use up leftover ham too.
This is one comforting bowl of goodness! I love all the veggies you added!
It is definitely soup season. This recipe is great. Very filling with the ham and potatoes.
This is so comforting!! My family loved it!
You had me at, "cheesy"! I love anything with cheese and this is certainly hearty!
Gwynn Galvin says
I'm always looking for new homemade soup recipes and this one is a winner! The perfect combination of flavors and textures!
Aimee Mars says
I love anything ham and cheddar and this did not disappoint. I plan on making this weekly as my kiddos loved it too!
SO perfect for the cold nights! I love how comforting this is!
This was so creamy and delicious! We gobbled it up thank you!
Tayler Ross says
I made this chowder for dinner last night and my whole family loved it. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!
I made this tonight and it was delicious!
I added more potato, celery, carrot & broth & more ham. It was hearty and delicious. I will definitely be making this again!