Creamy and cheesy Chicken Tortilla Chowder is so easy to make in just 30 minutes! Warm, creamy soup with a southwest kick! Top with crushed tortilla chips and serve with warm crusty bread!
Chicken Tortilla Chowder
This creamy chicken tortilla chowder is truly an amazing creation. It is warm, cozy, and creamy, with spicy chiles, tangy tomatoes, sweet corn, and warm soft bites of tortillas. The most amazing part of this soup? You can make it in 30 minutes.
Most of the time YUM + Lots of flavor = LOTS OF WORK. But it’s not! This Chicken Tortilla Chowder is SO EASY! I couldn’t believe it!!
This chicken tortilla chowder has tons of southwest flavor from the green chiles and spices. The flour tortilla strips turn into pillowy soft, almost dumpling-noodle hybrids.
Top your soup with fresh pico de gallo and crushed tortilla chips, and serve with a piece of warm, crusty bread.
What’s the Difference Between This Chicken Tortilla Chowder and Tortilla Soup?
This Chicken Tortilla Chowder is kind of a spin-off of tortilla soup. It tastes kind of the same but has a totally different way of getting there.
This recipe uses a cream base and adds flour tortillas.
A traditional tortilla soup is a tomato broth base. Then at the end, sour cream, cheese, and crunchy tortilla strips are added, if desired to get that creamy finish.
More Soup Recipes to Love
- Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup – super quick and easy 5 ingredient pumpkin soup with a southwest kick!
- Southwest Bean Chowder – delicious, vegetarian soup recipe with spicy, zesty southwest flavors that gets all of its creaminess from the beans.
- Southern Corn Chowder – a classic that you just can’t go wrong with. Thick, warm traditional corn chowder.
- Ham and Corn Chowder – a great way to use up leftover ham. Packed with ham, corn, potatoes, and lots of gooey cheese.
- See ALL SOUP RECIPES!
Chicken Tortilla Chowder
- 2 cans cream of potato soup (10 ounces each)
- 2 cans cream of chicken soup (10 ounces each)
- 2 cups milk
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can corn drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles (10 ounces each)
- 2 cups chopped or shredded chicken
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chiles
- 3 large flour tortillas cut into strips 1/2-inch x 2-inches
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all cans of soups, milk, and chicken broth to a large stockpot. Heat to steaming over medium heat.
- Add corn, chicken, diced tomatoes and green chiles, green chiles, and tortilla strips to soup mixture, and stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add cheese, cumin, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until melted.
- Serve warm topped with crushed tortilla strips, pico de gallo, or with a warm piece of crusty bread.
- Top it with crushed tortilla chips, sour cream, fresh cilantro, or pico de gallo and serve with a warm, buttery, crusty bread.
- This soup can be made ahead. Just store in a container with a lid in the refrigerator, for up to 3-7 days, until ready to eat!
- Freezer Directions: To freeze, allow soup to cool to room temperature. Place in a freezer container with a lid or in a gallon freezer bag. Seal, and place in the freezer. It can be stored for up to a month in a standing freezer, or 3-6 months in a deep freezer.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!