Warm and creamy Cheesy Potato Soup recipe is a deliciously perfect classic comfort food recipe to keep you warm and happy all winter long.
Cheesy Potato Soup
I am super excited to share this recipe today because it’s a super simple spin-off of my absolute favorite homemade soup of all time. It’s so good that I have, in fact, been asked if I lace it with crack. I don’t. But it IS ridiculously delicious and addictive. My mouth is watering just writing about it.
Creamy and cheesy, but not too thick or overwhelming. Warm and comforting and perfect for dipping a buttery, crusty bread into…. Mmmmm. I personally think the best potato for soup is the old classic Russet potatoes, but you can always get creative and throw in some red or Yukon potatoes for a more structured texture. You really can’t go wrong, I don’t think.
So enough talking. Let’s get to cooking. I absolutely insist that you try this recipe by the end of the year, so get to it! And be sure to come back to tell me you tried it in the comments. Or post a picture on instagram with #TheGraciousWife
Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Cheesy Potato Soup
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3/4 cup carrot chopped or shredded
- 3/4 cup celery finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4-5 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 4 ounces Velveeta
- 8 ounces about 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Optional: Additional toppings such as bacon chives, or sour cream
- In a large stockpot, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, garlic, basil, and parsley. Allow to cook until onions are translucent, about 10 minutes.
- When the vegetables are ready, add chicken broth, and potatoes. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and allow to simmer until potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the remaining butter over medium heat.
- Add the flour. Stir to combine, and allow to continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Slowly add the milk, about a 1/4 cup at a time, stirring to prevent lumps. Allow the mixture to heat through, then add to your soup mixture.
- Bring your soup mixture back to a low simmer, then add your Velveeta and cheese, a little at a time. Stir mixture until cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with sour cream and bacon, if desired.
If you like this Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe, you might also like
See More Soup Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.