Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup is a warm classic recipe with tender potatoes, gooey cheese, and lots of creamy flavor. Serve with warm crusty bread for the perfect dinner.
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup
If you haven’t noticed by now, I’m a huge fan of the classics. Trying new recipes is fun and exciting, but doesn’t it always come back to your favorite recipes for the classics? It does for me, anyway. So here’s a delicious potato soup classic recipe for the crockpot, Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup.
Tender potatoes with that famous comforting flavor and texture combined with a creamy cheese soup. This Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup recipe was inspired by one of my other favorite soup recipes, Cheeseburger Soup.
The secret in these recipes is the basil. Basil truly takes the soup to the next level of amazingly delicious. I’m not sure why, but whenever I add basil to recipes people scarf it down and get addicted. It’s amazing. It’s the secret ingredient in my Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole too! I’ve got a houseful of people addicted to all of these basil recipes, along with my extended family now as well! I should probably check on the addictiveness of basil, but in the meantime, it’s fabulous in this Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup.
Be sure to check out the Crocktober Main Page for more Crockpot recipes all month long!
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup Recipe
Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup
- 8 tablespoons butter divided
- ½ large onion chopped
- ¾ cup carrot chopped or shredded
- ¾ cup celery finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8-10 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 8 ounces Velveeta
- 8 ounces about 4 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Bacon crumbles and additional cheese for topping
- Place 4 tablespoons butter, onion, carrot, celery, garlic, basil, parsley, chicken broth, and potatoes in a large crockpot.
- Cook on Low for 6-8 hours until veggies and potatoes are cooked and tender.
- Before serving, add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to a medium saucepan. Melt over medium heat.
- Add flour to butter and stir to combine. Allow to heat through for about 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk, stirring constantly to prevent lumps. Allow mixture to heat through to steaming.
- Pour milk mixture into the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Add Velveeta and shredded cheese and stir until melted and fully incorporated.
- Turn the slow cooker to warm and allow mixture to heat through.
- Serve warm topped with bacon crumbles and additional cheese, with warm crusty bread.
If you liked this Crockpot Cheesy Potato Soup recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.