Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup is a simple and versatile recipe that is healthy and packed with lots of zesty flavor and vegetables.
Homemade Vegetable Soup
Vegetable soup is truly a winter-time staple, and this easy homemade version is a must for your recipe arsenal.
My favorite homemade vegetable soup is packed with veggies and flavor. There is no water in this recipe, only tomato juice and chicken or vegetable broth, giving it an extra zesty punch.
Fresh veggies simmer together in this zesty broth so that their flavors meld into one warm, comforting, and hearty soup.
Even better than the flavor is how gloriously easy this homemade vegetable soup is to make!
What Vegetables are in Vegetable Soup?
The beauty of making your own vegetable soup from scratch is that you can customize it to your tastes.
This recipe contains:
- Mixed vegetables
You could also consider adding broccoli, cauliflower, bean sprouts, or any vegetable your heart desires.
If you're using a fresh vegetable, add it at the beginning with the carrots and celery. If you're using pre-cooked or leftover veggies, add them at the same time as or instead of the mixed vegetables at the end.
More Vegetarian Soup Recipes You'll Love:
- Southern Corn Chowder
- Butternut Squash Bisque - sweet, savory, and creamy
- Southwest Bean Chowder - healthy with zesty southwest flavors
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Soup - classic in a Crock Pot!
Homemade Vegetable Soup
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (46 ounce) large can tomato juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley or basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetable thawed and drained
- In a large pot over medium heat, add carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, broth, and parsley or basil. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and mixed vegetables. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a crusty bread and extra black pepper.
- This soup can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- To freeze this soup, add to a gallon freezer bag (or two) or another airtight container. The soup can be kept in a deep freeze for 4 months, or in an upright freezer for 1-3 months.
- Check the seasoning at the end. Add more salt and pepper to taste. I recommend adding extra black pepper because it takes the soup to the next level.
- Customize this soup to your tastes! You can add sausage, beef, barley, rice, or any veggies of your choosing. Cook the meats, barley, or rice before adding them to the soup, and add them before the final simmer. If you're adding fresh veggies, add them for the first simmer with the carrots and celery. If you're adding cooked or leftover veggies add them for the final simmer.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
I love soups. So easy to make and highly flavorful too! That's what you have created here, a superb simple highly flavorful soup! Thank you!
LOVE soup during this time of year! This one looks so tasty and healthy!
You are making me crave a bit pot of this soup :-).
My family would really love this soup. I'll have to make this the next time it is cold.
This soup must taste divine and rich as there is no additional Water. The perfect comfort food for the weather.
Arpita Patel says
This soup is busy cooking right now and the smells that have filled the house is making me sallivate. I browned all the vegetables in a pot before throwing everything in my crockpot. I’m out most of the day so that way I have dinner waiting when I get back. Thanks
Great idea! Hope you enjoy it!
I have been on the hunt for a new, yummy veggie soup recipe. I cannot wait to give this one a go. It looks and sounds divine.
Sounds delicious! I'd love to make a big batch and freeze the leftovers for convenient meals. I need to get organized and eat healthier, and this would help me with both.
Soup is my favorite and I am always looking for more recipes. I'll try this out. I love making soup because it freezes well and saves me time in making meals because I always make enough to have for another day. Thank you!
Sam S says
LOVE LOVE THIS! I love that its vegan w/ the veggie broth, love that it freezes well! Great way to get some veggies in in the winter when its way too cold for salad lol
Pamela Orange says
This was very tasty! My celery was very green, so it didn’t soften enough in the cook time provided, so I think next time I’d use celery hearts instead. I also added additional dried basil and oregano, plus 1/2 tsp sugar. Thanks for the recipe!
Sounds great! I'm glad you enjoyed it!
It's currently snowing outside and this soup looks like the perfect cozy meal to make today. Can't wait to try it!
Mmm I love a good warm soup around this time of year! This one looks so delicious, I love it!
Such a deeply flavored vegetable Soup. Perfect for today’s chilly weather. Loved it!
Looks so yummy and warming! I love vegetable soups and yours looks incredible, saving to make this week!
This is such a great meal for weeknights!
I love such healthy and yummy options for Dinner. This soup is a meal by itself with all the healthy combinations.
This soup looks exactly what I used to enjoy when I was little. Delicious, comforting and inviting - yum!
soups are wonderful for eating lots of veggies and they're easy to make!
Annie @ Annie's Noms says
Homemade soup is always a winner in this house! This looks so hearty and full of flavour, I need to make it! I love that you can make it ahead and then freeze it too for those days when we want something tasty and healthy quickly!
This Homemade Vegetable Soup looks perfect for today. It's pouring rain and damp. I love all the ingredients too. Bet it's going to be a winner.