Easy Homemade Vegetable Soup is a simple and versatile recipe that is healthy and packed with lots of zesty flavor and vegetables.
Homemade Vegetable Soup
Vegetable soup is truly a winter-time staple, and this easy homemade version is a must for your recipe arsenal.
My favorite homemade vegetable soup is packed with veggies and flavor. There is no water in this recipe, only tomato juice and chicken or vegetable broth, giving it an extra zesty punch.
Fresh veggies simmer together in this zesty broth so that their flavors meld into one warm, comforting, and hearty soup.
Even better than the flavor is how gloriously easy this homemade vegetable soup is to make!
What Vegetables are in Vegetable Soup?
The beauty of making your own vegetable soup from scratch is that you can customize it to your tastes.
This recipe contains:
- Mixed vegetables
You could also consider adding broccoli, cauliflower, bean sprouts, or any vegetable your heart desires.
If you're using a fresh vegetable, add it at the beginning with the carrots and celery. If you're using pre-cooked or leftover veggies, add them at the same time as or instead of the mixed vegetables at the end.
More Vegetarian Soup Recipes You'll Love:
- Southern Corn Chowder
- Butternut Squash Bisque - sweet, savory, and creamy
- Southwest Bean Chowder - healthy with zesty southwest flavors
- Crock Pot Cheesy Potato Soup - classic in a Crock Pot!
Homemade Vegetable Soup
- 4 large carrots chopped
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 2 potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (46 ounce) large can tomato juice
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley or basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 (12 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetable thawed and drained
- In a large pot over medium heat, add carrots, celery, potatoes, onion, garlic, diced tomatoes, tomato juice, broth, and parsley or basil. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste, and mixed vegetables. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with a crusty bread and extra black pepper.
- This soup can be stored covered in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- To freeze this soup, add to a gallon freezer bag (or two) or another airtight container. The soup can be kept in a deep freeze for 4 months, or in an upright freezer for 1-3 months.
- Check the seasoning at the end. Add more salt and pepper to taste. I recommend adding extra black pepper because it takes the soup to the next level.
- Customize this soup to your tastes! You can add sausage, beef, barley, rice, or any veggies of your choosing. Cook the meats, barley, or rice before adding them to the soup, and add them before the final simmer. If you're adding fresh veggies, add them for the first simmer with the carrots and celery. If you're adding cooked or leftover veggies add them for the final simmer.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!