Creamed Chipped Beef is an easy, frugal comfort food dinner recipe, with a creamy, cheesy white sauce and roast beef deli meat, served over golden crunch toast.
Creamed Chipped Beef
Creamed Chipped Beef. Not the most attractive meal, but what it lacks in the looks department, it makes up for in the yummy, creamy, and delicious department.
Creamed Chipped Beef is actually food the very first food I learned to cook (or maybe it was boxed macaroni...) at probably around 8 years old. In any case, I loved Creamed Chipped Beef night because it meant I got to make it! I would always ask my mom if we could make the "applesauce" recipe, and she would look at me like I was off my rocker (and now you are too, aren't you?). When we added the flour to the butter, I always thought it looked like applesauce, and being 8 and all, I didn't realize it wasn't actually applesauce. I assure you, I know better now. Although, apples in a cheese sauce could be quite delicious...
I digress. So what's so great about Creamed Chipped Beef? Well other than the fact that it's so easy an 8-year-old could make it, literally, it's also a super fast, warm, and cheesy comfort food. AND it's super cheap. Toast, flour, butter, milk, and lunch meat. Stuff you probably already have sitting in your kitchen right now. So let's make it!
Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe
Creamed Chipped Beef
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup flour
- 5 cups milk
- **Optional: 8 ounces cheddar cheese shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 12 ounce package sliced roast beef deli meat, torn to bite-sized bits
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 10-16 slices of bread toasted
- In a large sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add the flour to the melted butter. Stir to combine. Allow the mixture to warm over the heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Start pouring in the milk, a little at a time, stirring after each addition to prevent lumps. I usually pour in a ¼-1/3 cup at a time before vigorously stirring.
- When all of the milk is added, continue stirring until the sauce thickens. You're looking for a thick gravy texture.
- If you're using cheese (we always do! Because, yum!), stir it in, a little at a time, after the white sauce has thickened. Continue stirring until all cheese is melted.
- Stir in roast beef. Add salt and pepper to taste. Continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until roast beef is heated through.
- Serve warm, over toast.
If you liked this Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe, you might also like
Browse All Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.