Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is so easy to make with tender beef and fresh mushrooms in a creamy herb sauce, served over warm egg noodles for a perfect comfort food family meal.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Creamy and comforting, this slow cooker beef stroganoff is so easy to make in the Crock Pot, using lots of fresh ingredients and no "cream of" soups (but has plenty of creaminess!).
It's made with tender beef and fresh mushrooms in a creamy, flavorful sauce. Serve it over warm egg noodles for an amazing, classic family dinner.
It's easy to throw together, and is even freezer friendly!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a hearty, classic recipe that needs no extra frills.
What is the Best Cut of Meat for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff?
For this slow cooker version, the best cuts of meat are actually the tougher cuts, generally beef chuck or round, that become very tender when they're slow simmered in liquid.
What is Stroganoff Sauce Made of?
In this recipe, the stroganoff sauce is made from the juices of slow cooked beef, mushrooms, broth, spices, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
At the end, sour cream and cream cheese is added to give it that signature creaminess.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You'll Love
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf - our favorite meatloaf recipe made simple in the Crock Pot.
- Crockpot Sloppy Joes - using whole food ingredients!
- Slow Cooker Southern Pulled Pork - tangy southern favorite!
- Crockpot Italian Beef - the best way to make Italian beef at home!
- Crock Pot Chili - simmered to perfection in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff Video
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds stew meat cut into bite size pieces if necessary
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup white cooking wine (dry)
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles cooked to package instructions
- Add all ingredients through black pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, make a slurry out of cornstarch and broth by whisking together in a small bowl (a fork works great for this).
- Add cornstarch slurry, sour cream, and cream cheese to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Turn slow cooker to HIGH and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over warm noodles.
- Make sure your beef is cut into small enough pieces to fit in your mouth in a single bite. You won't want to have to cut meat while you're eating your stroganoff.
- If you're in a hurry, you can also cook this stroganoff for 4-5 hours on HIGH. In my experience, the flavor is still the same, but the meat is a little tougher.
- Egg noodles are traditional in this recipe, but you can substitute them for elbow macaroni, penne, cavatappi, or whatever you have on hand.
- Gluten free option: The stroganoff sauce is gluten free (double check your Worcestershire. If you can't find gluten free Worcestershire, you can use gluten free Tamari sauce or coconut aminos instead). Serve over gluten free noodles.
- Storage: To store leftovers, stir remaining noodles into sauce. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish.
- Freezer: To freeze, combine the "before cooking" ingredients in a freezer bag. Freeze flat in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook, thaw in a bowl overnight. Then transfer to the slow cooker the next day and follow the remaining instructions.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Jacqueline Debono says
I love a creamy beef stroganoff and this one looks perfect. Going to add this slow cooker version to my weekend menu. Am sure my hubby will love it!
I love a good slow cooker recipe. This turned out to be an easy weeknight meal! Creamy, filling, and family friendly!
Would you believe I've never made beef stroganoff? I am a big fan of my slow cooker though and try to use it at least once a week, so I know this recipe will be going in our rotation.
Lauren Vavala | DeliciousLittleBites says
I love a good slow cooker recipe like this. Our weeknights are crazy busy right now and this recipe is the perfect weeknight dinner solution for the whole family.
This is one of our favourite meals to make. So comforting.
Oh my! This is the perfect recipe for the fall! So delicious, it will definitely be on repeat all season long, and it's so easy to make. Thanks so much for sharing!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry says
I love using my slow cooker at this time of year and was wondering what I should cook next. This looks like the perfect dish, love a beef stroganoff.
Pam Greer says
This has become my go to stroganoff recipe! So easy in the slow cooker and the meat gets so tender!
Lisa | Garlic & Zest says
I haven't used my slow cooker in such a long time... Now I've got a reason to!
Heidy L. McCallum says
I love a good beef stroganoff! I have never made it in the crock-pot but think this idea is wonderful! I bought some meat that was on sale that a cut we normally don't use since they are a little tougher. This recipe will be perfect for those.
I do not have white wine. What can I use as a substitute? Thank you!
More broth or sherry will both work!
Love this idea! Always looking for new slow cooker recipes to free up my time, thanks for sharing!
Beef Stroganoff takes me straight back to my childhood. Love it! But now it is made even easier with this crockpot recipe!
Carrie Robinson says
This is my kind of comfort food! I always make my beef stroganoff in the slow cooker. 🙂
Lisa Huff says
LOVE how easy this stroganoff is to make in a slow cooker! Perfect simple dinner!
Sarah James says
What a great recipe for Autumn, I love using my slow cooker. I really like how you haven't used canned soup, trying soon so pinned !
Stephanie Manning says
I love this recipe,been cooking it like this for about 6ys and me and my family love it!
My little family loves beef stroganoff so about a year ago I searched the internet for a good stroganoff recipe and I found this one and we love it! Got it in the crockpot right now as a matter of fact and my house smells amazing! It's now our go to comfort dinner. It's so easy to make, absolutely delicious and an inexpensive meal which is a huge plus! Decided it deserved a 5⭐ review! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome stroganoff recipe! Much luv from New Mexico! 🤗
Looks super yummy, How many does this serve? Thanks , Lorraine
It's a pretty big recipe. I would say 8 hearty portions.