Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is so easy to make with tender beef and fresh mushrooms in a creamy herb sauce, served over warm egg noodles for a perfect comfort food family meal.
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Creamy and comforting, this slow cooker beef stroganoff is so easy to make in the Crock Pot, using lots of fresh ingredients and no "cream of" soups.
It's made with tender beef and fresh mushrooms in a creamy, flavorful sauce. Serve it over warm egg noodles for an amazing, classic family dinner.
It's easy to throw together, and is even freezer friendly!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff is a hearty, classic recipe that needs no extra frills.
What is the Best Cut of Meat for Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff?
For this slow cooker version, the best cuts of meat are actually the tougher cuts, generally chuck or round, that become very tender when they're slow simmered in liquid.
What is Stroganoff Sauce Made of?
In this recipe the stroganoff sauce is made from the juices of slow cooked beef, mushrooms, broth, spices, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce.
At the end, sour cream and cream cheese is added to give it that signature creaminess.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You'll Love
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf - our favorite meatloaf recipe made simple in the Crock Pot.
- Crockpot Sloppy Joes - using whole food ingredients!
- Slow Cooker Southern Pulled Pork - tangy southern favorite!
- Crockpot Italian Beef - the best way to make Italian beef at home!
- Crock Pot Chili - simmered to perfection in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
- 2 pounds stew meat cut into bite size pieces if necessary
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ cup white cooking wine (dry)
- 1½ tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened and cubed
- 12 ounces wide egg noodles cooked to package instructions
- Add all ingredients through black pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, make a slurry out of cornstarch and broth by whisking together in a small bowl (a fork works great for this).
- Add cornstarch slurry, sour cream, and cream cheese to slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Turn slow cooker to HIGH and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over warm noodles.
- Make sure your beef is cut into small enough pieces to fit in your mouth in a single bite. You won't want to have to cut meat while you're eating your stroganoff.
- If you're in a hurry, you can also cook this stroganoff for 4-5 hours on HIGH. In my experience, the flavor is still the same, but the meat is a little tougher.
- Egg noodles are traditional in this recipe, but you can substitute them for elbow macaroni, penne, cavatappi, or whatever you have on hand.
- Gluten free option: The stroganoff sauce is gluten free (double check your Worcestershire. If you can't find gluten free Worcestershire, you can use gluten free Tamari sauce or coconut aminos instead). Serve over gluten free noodles.
- Storage: To store leftovers, stir remaining noodles into sauce. Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days. Reheat in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish.
- Freezer: To freeze, combine the "before cooking" ingredients in a freezer bag. Freeze flat in the freezer for up to 3 months. To cook, thaw in a bowl overnight. Then transfer to the slow cooker the next day and follow the remaining instructions.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!