Skip the can with these homemade Crock Pot Sloppy Joes! This easy family-friendly meal features ground beef with sweet onions and bell peppers cooked to sweet-and-tangy bubbly perfection.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
Sloppy Joes are an American classic, and it doesn't get any better than this Crock Pot Sloppy Joes version.
All of the ingredients are slow cooked to bubbly perfection, allowing all of the sweet, tangy, savory flavors to meld and marry creating heaven in a single bite.
In these Crock Pot Sloppy Joes, ground beef is cooked with sweet onions and bell peppers with tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, and seasonings to create the tangy-sweet flavor we all love about sloppy joes.
Sloppy Joes vs. Manwich
What's the difference between sloppy joes and Manwich? There isn't one, really. Manwich is a pre-made sloppy joe sauce that comes in a can. Some people call sloppy joes "Manwich" because of this. (Kind of like how Kleenex are facial tissues).
How Many Sloppy Joes Per Pound of Ground Beef?
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes are great for feeding a crowd. They're quick, simple, easy to serve, and loved by all. Because they're served on a bun, they also stretch a pretty long way!
The rule of thumb for sloppy joes is that you need about 3 ounces of raw ground meat per person. That means each pound will make 5-6 sloppy joes!
Follow the chart below for feeding a bigger crowd:
- 10 people = 2 pounds
- 20 people = 3.5 - 4 pounds
- 50 people = 9.5 pounds
- 100 people = 18.5 - 19 pounds
Just multiply the number of people by 3 ounces. Then divide it by 16 to get pounds (because there's 16 ounces in a pound).
What to Serve with Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
I always try to serve meals with meat, starch, and veggie. Since sloppy joes take care of meat and starch (with the bun), a simple green salad goes perfectly!
Other options include crudite (carrots, celery, etc.), coleslaw, potato salad, french fries, onion rings, tater tots, pasta salad, baked beans, mac and cheese, or potato chips.
You can also add toppings, such as pickled jalapenos, bread and butter pickles, a slice of cheese, or a scoop of creamy coleslaw.
More Slow Cooker Recipes You'll Love
- CrockPot Lasagna Soup - all of the lasagna flavors you love in one warm, comforting bowl of rich, creamy, cheesy soup!
- Crock Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs - make it all in the slow cooker from cooking the meatballs to the noodles!
- Mississippi Pot Roast - the easiest roast you'll ever make AND the most delicious!
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff - a classic creamy stroganoff recipe best served over egg noodles.
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf - our family's favorite meatloaf recipe adapted for the slow cooker.
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes Video
Crock Pot Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can of tomato sauce
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hamburger buns for serving
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium heat, until no longer pink. Drain, and transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining ingredients, except buns, to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for approximately 6-8 hours, until the vegetables are tender soft and all the flavors have meshed together.
- Serve warm on buns.
- This recipe is naturally dairy free.
- To make this recipe gluten free, substitute the Worcestershire sauce for coconut aminos or gluten free tamari sauce, and serve on gluten free buns.
- Cheese please! Serve with a slice of cheese on top for all cheese lovers.
- Storage directions: Store covered in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
- Freezer Directions: Cook sloppy joes according to recipe instructions. Allow to cool completely, then transfer to an airtight freezer bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months. To use, thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat in the microwave in a microwave safe bowl or in a large pot or skillet over medium heat.
UPDATE INFO: This recipe was originally published in September 2014. It was updated with new pictures, videos, and tips and republished in October 2022.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
I put this in the crockpot this morning and just tasted it. It is the BOMB!!! Love it! You definitely need to make this.
I love my slow cooker. Sloppy joes are always a hit with the family. This is an easy way to make them for sure.
This looks like a great timesaver for dinner. My kids love sloppy joes. Can't wait to try it!
Ruth Franzen says
I read this recipe st 3 o.m. and it sounded so good, I didn't want to wait until the next day to make it. I threw the ingredients in a soup pot and simmered it on the stove for 3 hours. Oh, such goodness! We loved it. Thank you!
SOOOOOO much better than the can! These homemade sloppy joes are just perfection!
I can't wait to make this. Sloppy Joes are one of my family's favorite meals, and I love how easy this version is.
Gina Abernathy says
Homemade is the way to go! So easy and so tasty.
Sloppy joes look amazing! Should be a great dinner, served with salad.
Suja md says
Outstanding recipe thanks so much! tasted so much good!
Sara Welch says
Served this for dinner last night and it was a hit all around the table! Classic comfort food indeed; easily, a new favorite recipe!
Big fan of crockpot recipes. These sloppy joes will be a huge hit in my house. Everyone will want seconds.
Great recipe. Used it an added a few things to spice it up a bit.