Cheesy Sausage and Potatoes are comfy, cozy, and easy to make. What makes it amazing is that it’s classic and simple. An ultimate comfort food.
Cheesy Sausage and PotatoesJump to Recipe
Ugh. Let me tell you why I’m frustrated. At the end of Summer, I read a news article about how we were going to have an abnormally warm Fall. So here I went out and bought a bunch of extra T-shirts for my kids that weren’t covered in mud and sand and everything else from playing outside all Summer so that they had enough nice clothes for school. Well guess what??!!! It’s dropped down in the low 40’s twice this week, and my kids DEFINITELY need more long sleeve shirts, NOT short sleeve. Ugh. Must have been “fake news.”
But one good thing has come out of this weather. It is casserole season, folks! And this Cheesy Sausage and Potatoes recipe is king of casseroles. It has basically every element that you might expect from a warm cozy casserole. Warm potatoes, gooey cheese, and smoked sausage that adds just the right amount of flavor.
The beauty of this Cheesy Sausage and Potatoes recipe is that it is so simple that you almost don’t expect it to be as delicious as it is! But it is so warm and cheesy and delicious, you’ll want to curl up on the couch with a blanket for seconds (and thirds!)
Cheesy Sausage and Potatoes Recipe
- 4-6 medium Idaho potatoes peeled, boiled and cut into cubes when cool, approx 2 pounds
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3-5 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb skinless smoked sausage or kielbasa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut skinless smoked sausage in half, lengthwise, and then slice.
- Place in a hot skillet over medium-high heat to turn slightly brown.
- Meanwhile, place cooked & diced potatoes in 2 quart casserole.
- Add cooked sausage to the potatoes, and give it a gentle toss. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir to combine. Allow to continue cooking for about 2 minutes to bring the temperature back up.
- Slowly add milk, about a quarter cup at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Continue cooking and stirring over medium heat until sauce thickens.
- When mixture is hot and thick, begin stirring in 3 cups cheese. Continue adding cheese and stirring until all cheese is melted and incorporated.
- Stir in salt, black pepper, and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Pour cheese sauce over potatoes and meat.
- Sprinkle remaining 1 cup shredded cheese on top.
Bake in preheated 350°F oven for 30 minutes (watch, until golden brown on top).
If you liked this Cheesy Sausage and Potato recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.