This Creamy Sausage Pasta is simple, cheesy, and perfect for an easy family dinner on the table in just 30 minutes. It features a creamy red sauce, savory Italian sausage, and melted gooey cheese.
Creamy Sausage Pasta
This creamy sausage pasta is one of our family favorites. I love it because it is so quick and easy to get on the table on a weeknight. And the rest of the family loves it because it's creamy, cheesy, and so flavorful.
Creamy sausage pasta features a creamy red pasta sauce simmered with savory Italian sausage and topped with gooey cheese. And you can get it from the pantry to the table in 30 minutes. Plus, it's freezer friendly, so you can even make it ahead.
My husband and I actually came up with this recipe on accident. We were brainstorming easy dinner recipes because I wasn't really in the mood to cook that day. I told him I wanted a creamy, cheesy pasta for dinner, so hubby scrounged up some Italian sausage from the freezer, and VOILA! This tasty Creamy Sausage Pasta recipe was born! Teamwork, people. Now it's a family favorite! And I know your family will love it too!
Why Use Tomato Sauce and Alfredo Sauce?
This kind of mixture actually has a name! It's called Rosa, which is Italian for pink. It's called this because the mixture of the red tomato sauce and white Alfredo sauce makes a pink-ish sauce.
Using them together is really delicious because it gives the tomato sauce and added rich and creamy element, and the tomato sauce gives the Alfredo sauce a much-needed acidic punch to cut through some of that richness. It's basically a perfect sauce marriage.
Can I Make the Sauce from Scratch?
Sure! I usually don't because I love that this recipe is fast and easy, but if you have a recipe you love for tomato sauce, go for it! Here is my favorite quick and easy Alfredo sauce recipe.
Creamy Sausage Pasta Variations
If you're looking for a little variety, you can try these easy variations.
- Protein: You can use a different type of meat such as ground beef, ground chicken, chopped chicken breast or thighs, ground turkey, or ground pork. Just add it in at the same time as you would the sausage in the recipe.
- Veggies: Extra vegetables such as mushrooms, spinach, or zucchini can be added. They can be added to with the meat if they're raw vegetables, or stirred in at the end if they're already cooked.
- Cheese: More cheese can be added if desired (who doesn't desire?!). You can also add a different cheese such as ricotta or parmesan.
What to Serve with Creamy Sausage Pasta
I love to serve it with a fresh green salad and a piece of warm crusty bread to round out the meal.
More Pasta Recipes You'll Love
- Crock Pot Spaghetti and Meatballs - everything in this recipe gets cooked right in the slow cooker. Meatballs, sauce, and even noodles! And it's flavorful, saucy, and amazing!
- 5 Cheese Stuffed Shells - an easy meatless dish that's rich, creamy, and cheesy covered and baked in a classic red sauce.
- Fettuccine Alfredo - creamy, cheesy homemade Alfredo sauce. No roux required!
- Chicken Alfredo Lasagna - a white creamy chicken version of classic lasagna
- Hawaiian Pizza Pasta Bake - I am not a Hawaiian pizza fan, but this pasta version is AMAZING.
- 48 Pasta Bake Recipes - Use this epic list for even more delicious pasta ideas!
Creamy Sausage Pasta Video
Creamy Sausage Pasta
- 12 ounces bow tie pasta cooked al dente to package instructions
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 jar (15 ounces) Alfredo sauce
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown sausage with garlic and red pepper flakes. Drain and return to skillet.
- Turn heat down to medium.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce. Bring to a simmer, and allow to simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add Alfredo and stir to combine.
- Add noodles to skillet. Stir to coat in sauce.
- Turn off heat. Sprinkle mozzarella on top. Cover skillet to allow cheese to melt.
- Storage: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Reheat in a microwave-safe dish.
- Freezer Directions: Follow preparation instructions. Then transfer to a freezer-safe bag or dish, covered. Freeze for up to 3-6 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator before serving. Bake at 350°F for about 20-30 minutes, covered, until heated through to reheat. Alternately, you can reheat in a large pot after thawing, adding a little more red sauce, if necessary.
UPDATE INFO: This post was originally published in October 2016. It was updated with new pictures, video, and tips and republished in May 2023.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Erica Schmidt says
Pasta is definitely my weak spot and this looks so quick and easy! Thanks for sharing, pinning for later!
I made this recipe today and it was really great! And it came together so quickly. I never would have thought of combining a pasta sauce and alfredo sauce, but the flavor is amazing. Definitely a keeper recipe!
I'm glad you liked it!
Nicole M says
I’m a teenage girl, and I wanted to surprise my family for dinner
This is the first time I made dinner for them and using this recipe was a great choice , super easy and so good ! 10 our of 10 , totally recommend !
Sharon Chen says
Surprised by the amazing combination of marinara and alfredo sauce, they balance each other really well. I think I might use that combination in other pasta recipes as well. Thank you so much!
Beth Sachs says
My kids love this creamy sausage pasta recipe. I always have to make double as it's that good.
This looks like the ultimate comfort food recipe! I like how sausage is used for protein as an alternative to the typical meatballs.
dina and bruce miller says
This is a great recipe that we can not wait to make!
Such a hearty and comforting dish. Easy to adapt too.