This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #MagicBabyMoments #CollectiveBias
This DIY Lion King Faux Fondant Diaper Cake and Gift Basket tutorial is the perfect addition to any baby shower. Great for a baby boy or a baby girl!
DIY Lion King Faux Fondant Diaper Cake and Gift Basket
Guess what! We’re adding a new little Mr. to our family in just a couple short months! No, not mine. He’ll be my very first nephew and the first cousin on my side of the family. Of course, we already love our four darling nieces to death, but our boys are particularly excited to gain a new playmate to “boom” trucks with. And we are too!
I remember when my sister, the mama-to-be, was little. Her absolute favorite movie was Disney’s The Lion King. We watched it Every. Single. Day. I’m not joking. And in between showings, want to guess what her favorite game was? That’s right. Lion King. She would run around on all fours with her behind stuck up in the air (a very amusing sight, really), pretending to be a lion. Simba, particularly. This went on for years.
Her love of Lion King never went away, and she goes out of her way to convince our kids to watch it with her whenever she has the opportunity. She’s naming her new little man Leo, and we’re already calling him little “Leo the Lion.”
You can imagine my excitement when I found The Lion King Disney Baby items when I stopped at Walmart the other day. Oh. My. Goodness. There’s so many cute baby items that are beyond perfect for a second generation Lion King lover! I just couldn’t help myself, so I picked a few up to make something special for her for the baby shower later this month.
DIY Lion King Faux Fondant Diaper Cake Tutorial
After I picked up a basket-full of adorable Lion King baby cuteness, I decided I was going to make her a faux fondant diaper cake, and fill a gift basket with the rest. So I also grabbed a couple packages of diapers while I was at Walmart. I opted for the larger sizes, 3 and 4, because that’s when the baby shower diaper stash ran out for us, and I wanted a gift that would keep on giving. But diaper size really doesn’t matter. Totally up to you.
What you’ll need:
- 2-3 packages of diapers
- 3 different size round bowls or baking pans (a small, medium, and large)
- About 6 rubber bands
- 4 Disney Baby Lion King receiving blankets
- Cardboard paper towel roll
- Disney Baby Lion King stuffed animal
- Lots of pins
- 1 or 1 1/2 inch thick ribbon (I used grosgrain)
DIY Lion King Faux Diaper Cake Directions
1. Take your pans and fill them with diapers. Place the diapers sideways, and layer them in a spiral method, as shown. Leave a hole big enough for the paper towel roll in the middle of each diaper spiral.
2. Take a rubber band, and wrap it around the outside of the diapers so that they’ll stay in formation when you remove them from the pan. If you’re using a deeper bowl, you can dump the diapers over so that they’re sticking out half-way and rubber band from the bottom. I needed an extra set of hands for this part to make sure everything stayed put, and luckily my boys were more than willing to be my little helpers. You can add an extra rubber band to each “layer” make sure it’s secure.
3. Next we’re going to add our “fondant,” so you’ll need the receiving blankets. Fold the blankets in half. Then wrap one around each diaper layer. Secure the blanket where the two edges meet with a pin or two.
4. Tuck the edges of the blanket into the center of the hole you left in the middle of the diapers. Now each diaper layer should be smoothly covered with faux fondant.
5. For the very top layer, I folded a receiving blanket into thirds (Lay the blanket flat. Fold one edge in just past the center. Then fold the other edge to meet the first folded side.) Then I rolled it up jelly roll style and secured it by tying a bow with the ribbon.
6. Now we’re going to assemble our cake. Stack the two biggest “layers,” and stick the paper towel roll down the center. There should be some paper towel roll still sticking out of the top. Place your smallest diaper layer on top, sliding it down the paper towel roll. I then added a couple extra pins to hold the layers together securely.
7. Grab your stuffed animal, and pin his little arms to the rolled up receiving blanket that you made in step 5. Then I just pinned his behind to the top diaper layer.
8. All you have to do now is decorate that cake! Wrap ribbon around the bottom of each diaper layer and secure again with pins. The ribbon really adds some cleanness to the diaper cake, and gets rid of those rounded edges.
Voila! A beautiful faux fondant Lion King diaper cake! I filled a basket with colorful tissue paper and added the additional Lion King baby items that I just couldn’t resist to make a complete and adorable baby shower gift.
Note: Please tell the mama-to-be that there are pins in this cake! We don’t want any accidents if they happen to go unnoticed!
What Disney Baby character would you choose for your diaper cake and gift basket?
You might also like:
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.