Get your family active and spending quality time together this Summer with these 13 fun ideas for Family Activities for Summer!
Family Activities for Summer
Summer is the perfect opportunity for families to spend time together. Since kids are used to being occupied all school year, it can be tough for them to be out of a schedule in the summer time. Although it’s a freeing time of busy schedules, it’s wonderful to have a few family activities for summer lined up.
Keep in mind that to spend time as a family, you don’t need anything fancy. The activities mentioned below are not expensive, but they do promote good family fun. Spending time with your family should never be painful, only fun!
Check out these family activities for summer!
13 Family Activities for Summer
1. Set up a pool area: If your kids are old enough to be a little independent with water, set up a pool area for them. You can buy a kiddy pool for fairly cheap. Set up a sprinkler and even a few beach chairs. The kids can lounge in their pool area as they wish.
2. Check out the local state parks: Chances are you have some really cool local parks near you. Make this the summer that you and your family go and check out these parks. You can go hiking, biking, and experience a variety of other activities together.
3. Volunteer time: Summertime can be full of fun, but it can also be full of life lessons. Do a little research to see what organizations may need volunteers, and then sign up the whole family.
4. Build something together: This isn’t something that every family can do, however, it’s an awesome way to get closer as a family. Look up a few options for something your family can build together. Think about all of the opportunities! You can build a play set, picnic table, or even a shed.
5. Set up a wildlife area: Who doesn’t love watching wildlife? You can set up a wildlife area in your backyard and it makes the ideal family activity for summer. Depending on where you live, you can set up a wildlife area for birds or even squirrels. If you’re not squeamish, think of all of the bugs you can attract with a wildlife area.
6. Make a mini golf area in your backyard: Looking for something different to do this summer with your family? Set up a mini golf course area in your backyard. Think of how many hours this can keep your family occupied this summer.
7. Camp Out on the backyard: Yes! It’s completely legal to camp out in your own backyard. Set up a tent and even make a bonfire for your crew. You can roast marshmallows and hot dogs, and even sing campfire songs.
8. Take free workshops: This may not work if you live in a small town. However, those of you who live in a large town may be able to take advantage of free workshops throughout the summer. For example, places like Lowes and Home Depot offer free workshops for kids. If you can’t find one, create your own!
9. Game and Pizza Night: Tradition is always a fun thing whenever you’re a kid. Make game and pizza night something that happens weekly during the summer months. Kids need consistency and what better way to offer it than through pizza and game night. Invite their friends or the neighbors, make it fun!
10. Get active: Another great family activity for summer is getting active. You can take family walks together or even ride bikes together. Pick a physical activity everyone loves and spend time doing it each and every day.
11. Make homemade foods: Typically, during the summer months, budgets need a little rearranging, which makes it the perfect time to make food at home. Don’t make it boring, though, try making and baking new and different foods with your kids.
12. Go to the local swimming pool: This may be a hard concept to grasp, but there are still local swimming pools. Why not make your family regular attendees there? Your kids will love swimming on a regular basis. Sign them up for swimming lessons and make it an activity for the whole family.
13. Go on a Day Outing: Head to a zoo, museum, or water park to get away from the house for a day without paying for a full vacation. Everyone will enjoy the new atmosphere, and it's a great opportunity to learn new things and make new memories.
Spending time together this summer is totally possible, you just need the right activities. Give each one of these family activities a try this summer. You can even add your own to the list if your heart desires.
Did you like these Family Activities for Summer ideas? Find more on my Parenting and Summer boards on Pinterest!
If you liked these Family Activities for Summer ideas, you might also like
Indoor Rainy Day Activities for Kids
6 Small Ways to Bond with Your Child in a Big Way
10 Tasks Kids Can Help with in the Kitchen
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
Debra @ Bowl Me Over says
So many fun ideas, love your post! Wanted to stop by and let you know I'm featuring your great list of summertime fun on Foodie FriDIY this week - stop by and link up again! Happy Memorial Day to you, have a great weekend!