Savory meatloaf cupcakes made with the BEST meatloaf recipe and topped with ketchup, mashed potato “frosting”, and cheese and veggie “sprinkles.”
Have I mentioned my kids love meatloaf? Well they do! Every time I break out some ground beef they dance around the house excited that I’m going to make meatloaf (whether or not I actually am, which the latter usually results in crying).
So, yeah. I make meatloaf regularly to appease the kiddos, and I saw this adorable idea on Pinterest for Meatloaf Cupcakes. Essentially, these are single serve meatloaf topped with ketchup and mashed potatoes. Cute, right?!
Obviously I had to try it out using my own meatloaf recipe because, not to toot my own horn, but seriously, it’s awesome. I topped my meatloaf cupcakes with ketchup and mashed potatoes, per Pinterest. Then I decided it could be even tastier topped with cheddar cheese and some veggie “sprinkles.” Voila! An all in one meal!
For easier clean-up during meatloaf-making, I’ll usually line the pan with foil. Using a cupcake pan makes this significantly more difficult. But fear not, because did you know they make foil cupcake liners? Yes, they do!
Supplies I needed to make Meatloaf Cupcakes:
- Cupcake pan or a mini cupcake pan if you want to make adorable, delicious appetizers
- Foil cupcake liners (They make foil cupcake liners in mini too!)
- If you’re very ambitious and want to pipe the mashed potatoes onto the meatloaf cupcakes, you’ll need pastry bags (these are my favorite) and I used my 1M Wilton tip.
- You’ve got to mash those potatoes with a potato masher. Here’s my old faithful potato masher that I love.
Meatloaf Cupcakes Recipe
For the Meatloaf
- Use this recipe to prepare the Meatloaf
For the Mashed Potato "Frosting"
- 6 Russet potatoes peeled and boiled until soft
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/3 cup frozen mixed vegetables thawed
- Prepare the meatloaf mixture using this meatloaf recipe. I boil the potatoes at this point too.
- Line a cupcake pan with foil liners. Fill each cupcake liner with meatloaf mixture. Remember that meatloaf won't rise like actual cake batter so fill them how you actually want them to look when they're done baking.
- Bake meatloaf cupcakes in a 350 oven for about 45 minutes or until cooked through.
- While meatloaf cupcakes are cooking, prepare the mashed potatoes by combining the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mashing together with a potato masher. You can make them extra creamy by using an electric mixer. If your potatoes are too thick, add a bit more milk until it reaches the desired consistency.
- If you plan to pipe the mashed potatoes, transfer them to a pastry bag with your desired tip.
- When the meatloaf cupcakes are done cooking, remove them from the oven.
- Add about a tablespoon of ketchup onto each meatloaf cupcake and spread evenly.
- Pipe or spoon the mashed potatoes onto each meatloaf cupcake on top of the ketchup.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese then the mixed vegetables onto each meatloaf cupcake.
- Turn the oven to broil, then place the meatloaf cupcakes back into the oven for just a couple minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges of the mashed potatoes are slightly golden brown, like a meringue.
- Allow at least 10 minutes for meatloaf cupcakes to set. Serve warm.
If you liked this Meatloaf Cupcakes recipe, you might also like:
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.