Why its awesome
Right around the time Mr. Gracious and I started dating, I found a recipe in Glamour Magazine for Manloaf. This recipe was said to make men fall in love. Given that Mr. Gracious had already professed his love for meatloaf, I was convinced this recipe would win him over completely and he’d get down on one knee right there.
Unfortunately, the recipe didn’t turn out for me that first time I made it (Apparently you can’t substitute the same amount of dried ground spices for fresh spices. Who knew?!) But, thankfully I’ve won him over anyway, and now have an awesome meatloaf recipe that he and my boys all enjoy. This Manloaf recipe calls for fresh herbs, but I’ll throw in the dried herb conversions for you so you don’t have a similar mishap to me and Mr. Gracious.
Manloaf is another great freezer meal. Just wrap in plastic wrap after all the ingredients are combined (stop at step 4) and freeze. When you’re ready to use it, thaw and continue following the directions starting at the next step (5).
What to Cook Meatloaf in
What Can You Add to Meatloaf?
How to Make Southern Meatloaf
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions and garlic until onions are tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley and thyme and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire, pepper, and cooled veggies. It’s easiest to mix using your hands, but you can also mix with an electric mixer.
Put mixture into a lined loaf pan, and coat with extra ketchup, if desired. Cook for 60-75 minutes in a 350°F, until firm. Drain excess grease, and let your meatloaf set for 15 minutes before slicing.
More Ground Beef Recipes You’ll Love
- Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole – a family favorite cheesy casserole with ground beef and tater tots.
- American Goulash – ground beef and noodles in a zesty tomato sauce. Easy to make in just one pot!
- Unstuffed Peppers – just like stuffed peppers but twice as easy! All in one skillet!
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf – our favorite meatloaf recipe made in the slow cooker!
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls – half the time but just as delicious as stuffed cabbage roll. Make this easy recipe in just one skillet.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme chopped (or 1 teaspoon ground thyme)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Saute onions and garlic until onions are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and thyme and saute for an additional 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, eggs, bread crumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire, pepper, and cooled veggies.
- Put mixture into a lined loaf pan, and coat with extra ketchup, if desired.
- Cook for 60-75 minutes in a 350°F, until firm.
- Drain excess grease, and let your meatloaf set for 15 minutes before slicing.
- This recipe is dairy free.
- To make this recipe gluten free, use gluten free breadcrumbs or finely processed oats.
- Use 80/20 or 85/15 lean ground beef. You want a little fat to keep it juicy, but not too much.
- For a sweeter version, substitute barbecue for ketchup.
- No bread crumbs? Use food processor to process fresh bread into breadcrumbs.
- Storage: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Reheat in individual servings on a microwave safe dish.
- Freezer Directions: To freeze, prepare meatloaf to step 4. Then transfer raw meatloaf mixture into a freezer bag. Store for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight before using. Then continue with the recipe starting at step 5.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
This Manloaf is the best meatloaf recipe, and one of our family favorites. It’s a hearty, meaty, dressed-up meatloaf that the man in your life will love.