Juicy steak and creamy cheese on a warm garlic buttery roll make these Steak Po’ Boys a heavenly experience and they’re so easy to make too!
Steak Po’ Boys
I’m pretty much game for anything that has steak in it. Truly. And we have this little local restaurant in our area that serves THE. Best. Steak Po’ Boys. The restaurant is called Merichka’s (shout out to all of my Joliet and South Chicagoland peeps, if you know what I’m talking about!).
Their steak po’ boys have a seasoned, tender cube steak topped with creamy, melted cheese, nestled inside a crusty, garlic buttery roll. Drool. Unfortunately, we don’t get out as much as we like to anymore with three kids and crazy, busy schedules, so we make do by making it at home! And thankfully, these steak po’ boys are quick and easy to make.
To make your steak po’ boys, heat up your broiler. You can instead turn up your oven very high or even pan fry, but I like the broiler because it doesn’t dry it out as much. It’s kind of like grilling inside the house. While your broiler is getting hot, mix together the butter and minced garlic in a mixing bowl and liberally smear it all over those rolls. Set them aside.
Get your cube steaks ready. Place them on a broiler pan (grab one here if you don’t have one. They’re really handy, especially if you can’t grill all year long with cold winters. Bring the grilling inside!). Brush the steaks with olive oil then season with salt and pepper. Broil them quickly, for just 1-2 minutes so they don’t over cook since they’re thin, then remove them from the heat. We’re going to broil again in a minute, so take them out even if you don’t think they’re all the way done.
Grab your buttered rolls. Place a steak on each one, and top it with cheese. I sprinkled a little bit of dried parsley to make it look yummy, but that’s totally optional. Then broil the whole thing again for an additional 1-2 minutes. Voila! Now you have the best steak po’ boys in town right at home!
Steak Po’ Boys
Steak Po' Boys
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-8 cube steaks
- Salt & pepper
- About 12 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 6-8 slices mozzarella
- 6-8 French rolls
- Turn on your oven broiler.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add softened butter and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Spread butter liberally onto insides of French rolls. Set aside.
- Place cube steaks on a baking sheet or broiler pan. Brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Broil cube steak for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Place cube steaks on bottom half of buttered roll. Top with cheese. Place top half of roll butter side up on the broiler pan with the cube steak.
- Broil for an additional 1-2 minutes until bread is toasty and cheese is melted.
Did you like this Steak Po’ Boys Recipe? Find more on my Dinner Ideas board on Pinterest!
If you liked this Steak Po’ Boys Recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.