Use these 8 Tips for Making Sure the Whole Family Sleeps Well on Vacation to keep the whole family happy, rested, and having fun for your vacation this year!
8 Tips for Making Sure the Whole Family Sleeps Well on Vacation
Going on vacation is an exciting time for the whole family. With that excitement, comes nights where everyone is too excited to sleep well. However, in order to have the best experience on your vacation, sleeping well is essential. It's a vicious cycle that could ruin your whole vacation! Try these 8 tips for making sure the whole family sleeps well on vacation.
1. Make it Feel Homey: When you are away from home, you may be sleeping in a hotel or someone else’s home. Be sure to bring things from home to make your sleeping area feel like your bedroom. If your children have favorite stuffed animals, sleeping buddies, or even a small blanket, bring those with to help them feel more secure in the different surroundings.
2. Set a Bedtime: It can be easy to feel like you can stay up as late as you want while on vacation, but staying up late can make your experience feel more like a task than fun. Try to set a bed time one to two hours after you normally go to bed, so your sleep/wake schedule stays consistent.
3. Play Hard During the Day: You may be tempted to wake up late or take naps during the day, but if you and the family want to get the most out of your day then play hard during the day. Schedule your excursions and fun activities during the morning or afternoon so you can sleep at night.
4. Turn the Temperature Down: It has been proven that the temperature should be turned slightly lower than usual at night. As you sleep, your bodies temperature goes up and down. Keeping the thermostat on 67°-70° will help you sleep better.
5. Turn Electronics Off: Electronics such as phones, TVs and tablets can stimulate your brain. Because everything on a screen moves so quickly, your brain starts to work quickly as well. Turn all electronics off 30-60 minutes before bedtime to allow your brain to relax for a restful sleep.
6. Bring Earplugs: Whether you are in a hotel or at someone else’s house, there will always be those that don’t go to sleep at the same time as your family. For light sleepers, earplugs can be a huge benefit.
7. Have a Full Stomach: You want your stomach to be full so you can sleep easy. Try to eat a later dinner around 7-8PM. However, avoid eating right before bedtime because as your food digests, it can keep you up.
8. Bring a White Noise Machine: Sometimes a little white noise is a key to a peaceful sleep. A white noise machine can lull you to sleep while blocking out noise from other guests. If you use a noise machine at home, definitely bring it with you on your vacation. If you have never used one, it may be worth the investment so your whole family can sleep well.
Going on vacation is supposed to be fun for the whole family, but the lack of sleep can turn it into a frustrating time. What other tips do you have for sleeping well while on vacation?
If you liked these 8 Tips for Making Sure the Whole Family Sleeps Well on Vacation, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.