Watermelon Pops Recipe is a fun and cold patriotic treat for kids perfect for a hot Summer day, including 4th of July and picnics.
Watermelon Pops Recipe
Our family mostly snacks on fresh fruit and veggies at snack time. Thankfully my kids are great eaters (most of the time, anyway), and are perfectly okay with this set up. So I shop for produce that is seasonal and on sale to maintain our budget. Do you know what's on sale in the Summer? Watermelon!
Watermelon is so juicy and delicious and perfectly Summer. But usually after we eat the first half of one of those giant watermelons, the kids are like Okay, Mom, what else ya got?!
Want to know what else I've got? The other half of that giant watermelon! So now I've got to sell the kids on another two or three days of watermelon so that I don't have to toss it! Which is how I found out that watermelon is particularly tasty frozen. It has the exact texture of your traditional ice pops, only it's all natural! Watermelon Pops are the perfect tasty treat for a hot summer day!
And to make Watermelon Pops even more delicious, you can dip that frozen watermelon in white chocolate and top with some blue sprinkles, and you have a festive patriotic cold treat perfect for a Summer cookout, BBQ, or picnic!
So go ahead and buy that extra large watermelon because your kids are going to go nuts over these Watermelon Pops!
Here are some things I used to make these fun Patriotic Watermelon Pops
- Watermelon Knife - This highly rated watermelon knife makes cutting a breeze!
- Star Cookie Cutters - I used the smallest star to make mini watermelon pops, but watermelon pops are delicious in all sizes! I recommend using cookie cutters without a lip on the edges so that you can push the cutter straight through without it getting caught.
- Pop Sticks - Of course, you can make these frozen watermelon treats without the stick, but don't they make them so much more fun?!
- Blue Sprinkles - Finish these patriotic watermelon pops off with some festive blue sprinkles! I used nonpareils, but jimmies work too. Or you could try a fun and patriotic sprinkle mix!
Watermelon Pops Recipe
- Watermelon slices 1 inch thick
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Blue sprinkles
- Use cookie cutters to cut the watermelon into shapes. I made 12 small stars out of two full watermelon slices
- Stick a pop stick into each watermelon star. Place on a plate, and place in the freezer. Allow watermelon to freeze in the freezer until fully frozen.
- When watermelon is frozen, melt chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval.
- Dip each watermelon pop into the chocolate, and lay out on a piece of foil or wax paper.
- Shake on sprinkles immediately, as the chocolate will set fast with the frozen watermelon.
- Serve immediately, or replace in the freezer until needed.
- To store, allow chocolate to completely set, then place in a freezer bag and store in the freezer until ready to use.
Did you like this Watermelon Pops recipe? Find more on my Summer Days and Kid Friendly Food boards on Pinterest!
If you liked this Watermelon Pops Recipe, you might also like these:
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
I love these! Our family loves watermelon and they kids would seriously go nuts over this! We will definitely be making these this 4th! Thanks for sharing!
this is such a cute and delicious idea! thanks for sharing 🙂
stop by and chat 🙂
All that's Jas says
Such a fun idea! Bet kids love them! Thank you for linking up with Thursday favorite Things and I hope you have a glorious day!
such a cute idea, thanks for sharing