Creamy, smooth Homemade Eggnog is simple to make with just 6 ingredients to get you into the spirit of the season! Store bought can’t compete with homemade!
I wanted to try something new this Christmas! I’m no stranger to the store bought eggnog, but I’ve never made my own and thought it might be fun. Plus everything is better homemade! This Homemade Eggnog definitely didn’t disappoint!
Homemade Eggnog has a similar flavor to store bought, with a much more smooth and creamy texture. The fresh ground nutmeg and just a drop of rum extract pushes it over to amazing! I’ll be making Homemade Eggnog all December long! And I’ll definitely be finding new recipes so that I can bake with it too!
Prior to making Homemade Eggnog, I didn’t know what whole nutmeg looked like, nor was I sure where to purchase. But it turns out it fairly common. If you can’t find yours at your local grocer, Amazon sells it at a decent price, and it’s where I purchased mine (Click HERE to find whole nutmeg). To freshly grind nutmeg, you can just use a microplane zester like this one. It’s really very simple.
Homemade Eggnog Recipe
- 4 eggs divided into yolks and whites
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground nutmeg
- Place egg yolks in a large mixing bowl. Beat egg yolks until they change in color to lighter, creamy color.
- Continue mixing and slowly add in the 1/3 cup sugar. Continue mixing until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is smooth (You don't want your eggnog to have a gritty texture)
- Add the cream, milk, rum extract, and nutmeg to the egg yolk mixture and stir to combine.
- Place the egg whites in a separate mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 tablespoon sugar and continue mixing to combine.
- Whisk egg white mixture into eggnog mixture until combined.
- Chill and serve cold.
If you liked this Homemade Eggnog recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.