Just in time for pumpkin season, this Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup recipe is a delicious savory alternative to traditional pumpkin spice that is a quick, easy and healthy pumpkin soup recipe.
Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup
It’s official. September is here! It’s Pumpkin season! Time to make everything PUMPKIN! (Too much?… I’ll try to tone it down some, but I can’t make any promises…) I love pumpkin, as you’ve probably already guessed. It’s great in desserts and coffee and lattes and breakfasts. But don’t forget good ol’ savory pumpkin too! Like in this super easy, healthy AND delicious Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup.
There is literally no prep work, and this particular recipe is pumpkin soup without cream. I don’t usually cook vegan, but this recipe is also a vegan pumpkin soup recipe with canned pumpkin, making it cheap AND easy.
Now the trick to using pumpkin (and other traditionally sweet squashes, like butternut) is salt. Don’t be shy with the salt. If you feel like your Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup is tasting kind of meh, it probably needs more salt. So salt it until you hit the sweet spot!
Any other fellow pumpkin lovers out there? Tell me your favorites for pumpkin season in the comments!
Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 (15 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 2 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chiles
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 cups milk or milk substitute
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine all ingredients in a large stockpot. Stir to combine.
- Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until heated through.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve warm with a crusty bread.
Did you like this Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup Recipe? Find more on my Soup and Pumpkin boards on Pinterest!
If you liked this Spicy Southwest Pumpkin Soup Recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.