Classic flavors of juicy beef, zesty tomatoes, and cozy noodles come together in this Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles recipe to create an easy comfort food dish with simple ingredients.
Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles
Sometimes you just have to get back to the basics. There's so many crazy food ideas all over the internet these days. It can truly be overwhelming. I find I'm usually happiest when I find great recipes for classic flavors, like this Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles recipe. It kind of reminds me of if beef stew and goulash had a warm delicious noodle baby. It would be this.
Making this Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles recipe is pretty simple. It combines both fresh cherry tomatoes and canned tomatoes, plus beef bits (I hate using the word chunks when I'm talking about food, but they're bigger than "bits"), and lasagna noodles. I like the big wide lasagna noodles for this recipe, but you can use any noodle you like such as macaroni like an actual goulash or even wide egg noodles. And we also have a few sideline and flavor-enhancing ingredients such as flour, salt, pepper, butter, sugar, garlic, beef broth, and Italian seasoning. Let's get cooking!
First, cook your noodles according to package instructions. While the noodles are cooking, we're going to prep the rest of the ingredients so they're ready to go when the noodles are done and you can serve everything while it's still fresh and hot. Grab a large bowl and add flour, salt, and pepper. Whisk it together to combine. Place your beef pieces into the bowl with the flour mixture and toss to fully coat. Then you can set the whole bowl aside for now.
Now grab a large skillet and add your butter. Place it over medium-high heat, and melt the butter. Add the meat to the skillet once it's melted and hot, and brown the beef. You just want to make sure the outsides are nice and browned. It doesn't have to be cooked all the way through just yet. Add the cherry tomatoes and minced garlic to the skillet and continue cooking for about 5 more minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the tomatoes soften and begin to burst.
Stir in the diced tomatoes, liquid and all, as well as the beef broth, Italian seasoning, and a little sugar to cut the acid from the tomatoes. Bring this mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat and cook for about 10 minutes so it has time to thicken and reduce. Remember to stir occasionally to prevent it from burning. Your beef and tomato mixture is ready for the noodles. So toss them all together. Stir to combine. Serve on a plate with a fresh parsley garnish and enjoy!
Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles Recipe
Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles
- 1 16 ounce package lasagna noodles, cooked to package instructions
- 1.5-2 pounds beef sirloin cut into bite-sized pieces or 1.5-2 pounds stew beef
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 15 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and pepper.
- Toss meat into the flour mixture and coat fully. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add meat to the skillet, and cook until the outside of the beef. pieces are browned (it does not need to be cooked through at this point.)
- Add cherry tomatoes and garlic to the skillet and continue cooking for about 5 minutes until the cherry tomatoes begin to burst.
- Stir in diced tomatoes, beef broth, Italian seasoning, and sugar.
- Bring tomato and meat mixture to a boil. Then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until mixture is heated through and slightly thickened.
- Pour beef and tomato mixture over noodles and stir to combine.
- Serve warm.
If you liked this Beef and Tomatoes over Noodles Recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.