Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe- a delicious combination of Chicken Pot Pie and Shepherd's Pie, all in one tasty dinner. Perfect dinner idea recipe for family and gatherings
Chicken Shepherd's Pie
I was trying to decide between chicken pot pie and Shepherd's pie for dinner one night and decided, Hey, why not have both?! This Chicken Shepherd's Pie recipe is really closer to a chicken pot pie with a unique twist, in my opinion (If you need a delicious Chicken Pot Pie Recipe, try this one!). Nonetheless, it's a super tasty, comfort food dinner.
Homemade Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe
For the Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- 5 large potatoes peeled
- 4 tablespoons butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt & Pepper to taste
For the Chicken Shepherd's Pie Filling
- 3 pounds chicken breast cooked and cubed
- ½ on onion
- ⅔ cup butter
- ⅔ cup flour
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups frozen mixed vegetables thawed and patted dry
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- In a stock pot, boil potatoes in water until tender, about 15-20 minutes. When potatoes are done, drain from water. Add 4 tablespoons of butter, ¾ cup milk, and a minced garlic clove. Mash together with a potato masher until smooth. Add salt and pepper to taste. Then set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt ⅔ cup butter in a different saucepan or stock pot over medium heat. Add onions and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add ⅔ cups flour to the butter and onions. Stir to combine and allow to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth a little at a time, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
- Add 1 cup of milk and stir again to incorporate. The sauce should be pretty thick, but not dough-y. If your sauce is still dough-y continue adding milk, a quarter cup at a time, until it reaches a thick gravy consistency.
- Add chicken, mixed vegetables, garlic powder, sage, basil, and thyme. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes to reheat the mixture.
- Add 1 ½ cup Swiss cheese, stir to combine.
- Pour gravy mixture into a 9 x 13 baking dish. Spread mashed potatoes over the gravy mixture. Put the remaining cheese on the mashed potatoes.
- Place uncovered in a 350° oven for 20-30 minutes until heated through. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Did you like this Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe? Find more on my Dinner Ideas and Salads & Side Dishes boards on Pinterest!
If you liked this Chicken Shepherd's Pie Recipe, you might also like
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Browse All Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.
T'onna @ USS Crafty says
My husband loves shepherd's pie. It sounds much yummy with chicken then beef. I may have to try out this recipe! thanks for sharing at Submarine Sunday!
Nana b. says
This recipe sounds delicious and I plan on pinning it and trying it soon. I am confused that chicken breast is listed twice in the ingredients and am wondering what the total amount is for the recipe? Also, not everyone in my family is fond of Swiss cheese. Could I substitute another for it? Thank you!
Hi, Nana! The double chicken was a typo on my end! Oops! Thanks for pointing it out! (I fixed it now!)
You can sub the Swiss cheese for whatever cheese you'd like! I'd probably use a mild-er flavor, so as not to be too over powering, such as mozzarella, Parmesan, or a mild cheddar.
Let me know how you like it! And feel free to comment here if you have any more questions! 🙂