Chili Cheese Dog Casserole is super easy to make with just 5 ingredients. With warm chili, gooey cheese, and classic hot dogs, this is a delicious dinner the whole family will love.
Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
I just LOVE chili cheese dogs, don't you? They remind me of carnivals and ball games and everything wonderful about warm weather. Nothing screams summer like an ooey-gooey chili cheese dog!
In this chili cheese dog casserole, I combined the awesome-ness of chili cheese dogs and the comfort and ease of a casserole. The best of both worlds with warm chili and gooey cheese over a hot dog in a soft bun.
Make sure you have napkins handy for this melty, gooey, messy concoction!
What to Serve with Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
We typically serve this casserole with french fries or potato chips, and a vegetable. Try a quick and easy fresh green salad.
For a warm vegetable, we'll make steamed broccoli or mixed vegetables.
Can You Freeze Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
Yes! This recipe is really really easy, so I don't find the need to freeze it usually.
If you do want to freeze it, prepare the hot dogs in the crescent rolls. Lay those out flat on a baking sheet, and freeze those alone. Transfer to a freezer bag.
Then when you're ready to use, continue with the recipe instructions, adding about 3-5 minutes to the first bake time (in step 3) to account for it being frozen.
More Easy Dinner Recipes You'll Love
- Slow Cooker Chili Cheese Dog Sloppy Joes - another delicious version of chili cheese dogs. This time in a slow cooker served over a hamburger bun.
- American Goulash - super simple pasta and beef dish to make in one pot and just a few ingredients.
- Unstuffed Peppers - quick and easy ground beef and rice meal in one skillet!
- Cheesy Tater Tot Casserole - a family favorite casserole that's a full meal in a casserole dish!
- Creamy Sausage and Tortellini - creamy tomato sauce with sausage and tortellini, and just a touch of spice.
Chili Cheese Dog Casserole Video
Chili Cheese Dog Casserole
- package of crescent rolls (with 8 crescent rolls)
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 slices of cheddar or American cheese
- 1 can of no-beans chili (15 ounces)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- Toppings such as chopped onions or sour cream
- Unroll your crescent rolls and break apart so you have 8 triangles. Place a piece of American cheese on each triangle, and then a hot dog.
- Roll them up, and put them in a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Bake in a 375° oven for about 12-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and pour the chili over your rolls. Top with the shredded cheddar.
- Return to the oven to bake for an additional 10-15 minutes, until heated through.
- Be sure the crescent rolls are cooked all the way through before covering in chili. This will ensure the food is cooked safely, and also that they're less soggy. Crescent rolls will still be soft and possibly slightly gooey after baking with chili. This is fine, as long as they were cooked through first.
- Use 2 cups of homemade chili instead of canned chili, if desired.
- Top with fresh toppings such as fresh chopped parsley or cilantro, onions, sour cream, or avocado.
UPDATE INFO: This post was originally published in July 2014. It has been updated with more pictures, video, and detailed instructions in October 2021.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!