Super simple, 4 ingredient easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork couldn't be easier to make, but yields a tender sweet and tangy pork that everyone will love! Just grab buns at dinner time, and you're ready to go!
Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
I love this super simple and easy slow cooker BBQ pulled pork recipe. There's literally nothing to it! It couldn't be easier if it tried.
I have another pulled pork recipe that's classically southern and cooked in vinegar (here it is, if you want to take a look). But this easy pulled pork is purely Midwestern. It uses your favorite barbecue sauce with just a hint of tang and spice.
Plus, did I mention that it's easy?! It's one of those "throw the ingredients in the slow cooker and don't think about it again until dinner time" recipes that everyone loves. Just remember buns for serving, and a big helping of cool, sweet coleslaw to finish off the meal.
What Cut of Pork Should I Use?
I recommend using a butt or shoulder roast as those will turn out most tender. A pork loin is a leaner, and will often not turn out as tender or shred as easily.
How to Serve Easy Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork
The classic way of serving BBQ pulled pork is on a bun smothered with more barbecue sauce, and in our house, always with coleslaw.
You can also serve it on a bed of lettuce like a salad. I sometimes add some corn and black beans to it.
Another fun serving idea is on a baked potato or sweet potato. We usually do a baked potato bar with our leftovers, and my kids love loading their potatoes up with pork, cheese, corn, coleslaw, and barbecue. It's really good and filling.
More Easy Pork Recipes You'll Love
- Crockpot Pork Roast - a simple juicy roast cooked in the slow cooker.
- Bacon Swiss Pork Chops - juicy pork chops, topped with bacon and cheese. Keto friendly!
- One Pot Creamy Ham and Tortellini - Salty ham, sweet peas, and tender tortellini in a creamy sauce, all in one pot!
- Grilled Barbecue Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches - tender pieces of barbecue pork, cooked on the grill, and piled high on a delicious sandwich.
- Creamy Sausage Pasta - sausage and tender pasta in a creamy, cheesy tomato sauce.
Easy Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- 4 pounds pork butt or shoulder
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce (about 15-18 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
- Place pork roast, barbecue sauce, and apple cider vinegar in the slow cooker.
- Season top of roast with salt and pepper
- Cook on Low for 8-10 hours, until pork is cooked through.
- Remove pork from the slow cooker. Shred with a fork or mixer.
- Return pork to the slow cooker with the sauce. Stir to combine.
- Serve warm on buns with slaw.
- Want to make it plain? Just season with salt and pepper and omit the barbecue sauce. You can add ½-1 cup water or broth for more moisture.
- Cook it low and slow. Pulled pork is most tender and juicy if you cook it on low for a longer time (rather than cooking it at higher temps for shorter times). The pork tenderizes as it cooks, and juices are released.
- Why vinegar? Vinegar is a meat tenderizer, so it makes the meat nice and tender and juicy, and also adds a nice little acidic tang.
- If you have an extra minute, brown the outside of the pork in a large skillet before cooking in the slow cooker. It'll add a little extra flavor.
- Reheating Instructions: You can reheat your pork quickly in the microwave in a microwave-safe dish.
- Storage: Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Freezer Directions: To freeze, allow to come to room temperature. Then transfer to a freezer bag or container. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, and follow reheating instructions.
UPDATE INFO: This recipe was originally published in February 2017. It was updated with a video and new tips and republished in April 2021.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!