Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole is an unbelievably easy slow cooker recipe with warm bites of potato smothered in creamy, gooey, cheesy goodness. It's great for brinner, brunch, potlucks, and holidays too!
Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole
This ridiculously simple Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole takes all of the effort out of making side dishes. With just a few simple ingredients mixed together in your slow cooker, this casserole is warm, cheesy, comforting, and a breeze to make.
It's great for potlucks and holidays because it can feed a crowd, and everyone will love it.
If you love easy recipes with little prep work that can feed a crowd, AND cheesy potatoes, then you will love this cheesy Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole, too! With perfectly seasoned, warm, creamy, cheesy potato bites, it's hard not to!
How to Mix Up Your Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole
I love this recipe as is, but it also lends itself as a blank slate if you'd like to dress it up a bit for variety. Try these ideas.
- Taco seasoning or meat - Mix in some taco seasoning or some leftover taco meat for a Tex-Mex style dish.
- Bacon or sausage - Be sure to cook and drain these first. Even then, it will likely add a little extra grease to the dish, but in the end it's worth it!
- Green chiles - Easy to mix in, and will add a little extra spice and flavor.
- Parmesan - This cheese is the unsung hero in so many dishes. It adds the perfect amount of nutty flavor to rich dishes such as this.
- Veggies - Try some spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, or peppers. Cook these with the onions and garlic to break them down a bit to release juices so that they don't make the casserole runny.
How to Serve Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole
This dish makes a great easy and crowd-pleasing dish to bring to potlucks for any occasion. You can also serve it as a side dish for breakfast, brunch, brinner, or dinner. I like to garnish with crumbled bacon and chopped chives so that it's pretty and delicious.
You can even add a little kielbasa or ham to the dish, and call it dinner!
More Slow Cooker Recipes You'll Love
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole - A whole breakfast in the slow cooker packed with bacon, sausage, eggs, and hashbrowns.
- Crock Pot Mac and Cheese - the cheesiest, most comforting dish on the planet.
- Crock Pot Corn Pudding - my favorite holiday side dish, made in the slow cooker so there's more room in the oven.
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast - probably the best roast you'll ever taste, and ridiculously easy to make!
- Slow Cooker Meatloaf - our family favorite meatloaf, made easier in the Crock Pot!
Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole Video
Crock Pot Hash Brown Casserole
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (24 ounce) container sour cream
- 4 cups freshly shredded cheddar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (30 ounce) package frozen shredded potatoes (shredded hash browns)
- Crumbled bacon and chopped chives *optional- for garnish
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and saute until tender, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In the slow cooker, add sour cream, 3 cups cheese, salt, and pepper, and stir to combine.
- Stir in cooled onion mixture.
- Fold in potatoes.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for about 3-3.5 hours.
- Remove lid and top with remaining cheese, and garnish with bacon and chives if desired. Return lid until cheese has melted.
- This recipe is naturally gluten free.
- Cheese: Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese, including Gouda, Gruyere, Colby Jack, or anything your heart desires. I recommend using freshly grated cheese, as it will melt better and be less greasy.
- No need to thaw the potatoes!
UPDATE INFO: This recipe was originally published in October 2015. It was updated with new pictures, video, and tips and republished in November 2022.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!