This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of BUBBA burger. All opinions are 100% mine.
These Easy Banh Mi Burgers are a fresh Vietnamese twist on an American classic. A juicy, savory BUBBA burger is topped with pickled carrot and daikon and fresh cucumbers, cilantro, and jalapenos, then slathered in spicy mayo. Just like your favorite Vietnamese sandwich, only super quick and easy to make at home!
Easy Banh Mi Burgers
In this Easy Banh Mi Burger recipe, an American classic gets a Vietnamese flavor twist that will leave you drooling. This banh mi hybrid is at the perfect intersection of summertime grilling and fresh, crisp, and simple.
I’m very excited to partner with BUBBA burger to bring you another fun burger recipe this month. A unique combination of savory, salty, tangy, chewy, creamy, spicy, and crispy, all in one bite that will absolutely make you fall in love with this simple burger version you can make at home.
My Easy Banh Mi Burgers start with juicy 100% beef chuck BUBBA burgers that are topped with classic elements such as pickled carrots and daikon and fresh cucumbers, cilantro, and jalapenos, then slathered in sriracha mayo.
They’re easy to whip up at home whenever a banh mi craving strikes. And after you try these, you’ll be craving them all the time! They’re also great if you’re looking for some cooler, fresher options than your classic all-American-type burger.
What’s on a Banh Mi (Burger)?
Since this is my interpretation of a banh mi in burger form, this recipe takes classic elements and flavors from a traditional banh mi to incorporate in a simple burger recipe. Here’s what I’m using.
The Meat: In this easy burger version, the meat is a simple, juicy, tender 100% beef chuck BUBBA burger. I chose the Original BUBBA burgers for these, just for simplicity. You could also use Angus Beef, Turkey, or even a Veggie burger for this recipe (which BUBBA burger makes all of these varieties if you didn’t know!). These are super easy and fast to cook straight from frozen, which makes them ideal for keeping this recipe short and sweet, as well as just having in your freezer for quick and easy meals anytime you need it.
The Slaw: Shredded carrots and daikon radishes are quickly pickled in rice vinegar and sugar for a simple, tangy, sweet slaw. If you haven’t seen one, a daikon radish looks kind of like a really big white carrot. You can find it in most large grocery stores. And I want to warn you that it does stink when you shred it, but I promise you, it won’t taste like it smells, especially after you pickle it with the carrots.
The Fresh Toppings: These toppings include cucumber slices for some fresh, cool crispness, cilantro for more depth of flavor, and jalapeno slices for some spice. If you’re not big on spicy, be sure to remove the seeds from the jalapenos, or just omit them altogether, as the sauce has some spice to it as well.
The Sauce: Consisting of just four easy ingredients, you’ll want to go ahead and smother your burger (and maybe every burger from now on) in this creamy, spicy mayo.
The Bun: A traditional banh mi comes on a hefty roll to hold up all those ingredients. So I decided to use French baguette dinner rolls for the bun. If you can’t find rolls that are big enough to hold those nice big burgers, you can grab a full-size baguette or two, and cut them down to the size you need.
Why No Cheese?
I’m a huge cheese fanatic, for most purposes. However, most Asian cuisine does not include cheese, and banh mi sandwiches are no exception. Cheese is truly not necessary on this burger as there’s so many other bright, rich flavors going on, including the creaminess from the spicy mayo. Trust me, just this once, it won’t be missed 😉.
Easy Banh Mi Burgers
- 6 BUBBA burgers
- 6 French dinner rolls OR 1 large baguette cut into about 3-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded daikon radish
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup mayo
- 2-3 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- ½ cup cucumber slices
- ¼ cup jalapeno slices
For the Pickled Relish
- Place carrots and radish in a medium heat-proof (glass or metal) mixing bowl. Toss to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, combine water, rice vinegar, and sugar. Bring to a boil.
- Remove vinegar mixture from heat once boiling, and pour over carrot mixture. Stir to combine.
- Cover and chill for at least 15 minutes or up to 3 days.
For the Spicy Mayo
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
For the BUBBA burgers
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Place burgers on the grill. Cook for about 5 minutes, until juices rise to the top of the burger.
- Flip burger, and finish cooking, until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Remove from heat and set aside to assemble burger.
- Cut rolls or baguettes in half. Smear both sides of the roll or baguette with spicy mayo. Place a BUBBA burger on the bottom half. Top with pickled carrots and daikon, cucumbers, jalapenos, cilantro, and the top bun.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!