These homemade Funfetti Cookies have perfectly crispy edges and a soft, warm, buttery interior with fun rainbow sprinkles! Not only are they pretty to look at, but these made from scratch cookies melt in your mouth with every bite.
Homemade Funfetti Cookies
These homemade funfetti cookies are one of my all-time favorites. They are perfectly crisp around the edges, have soft, buttery, chewy warm centers, and feature fun rainbow sprinkles.
They're a nostalgic classic for sure that you can pass on to your own kids. To up the nostalgia factor, I've added just a hint of almond extract to mimic the flavor of the classic funfetti cake mix.
These homemade funfetti cookies are made from scratch, but that doesn't mean they're difficult to make! Whip the dough up in minutes, chill for a bit, and bake! These cookies will be a hit no matter where you take them.
What Sprinkles Work Best for Homemade Funfetti Cookies?
Jimmies are the best sprinkles for adding into cookies, cupcakes, or even festive pancakes. This is because the colors of jimmy sprinkles won't run and change the color of the dough or batter.
You can use the rainbow sprinkles like I've used here, or you can also find festive holiday colors at your local grocery store or on Amazon. Try red and green for Christmas, pastels for Easter, or red-white-and-blue for summer holidays.
Try rolling the cookies in more sprinkles to make them even brighter and more colorful.
Do I Have to Chill Them?
YES! It makes all the difference in texture! After chilling, they'll spread the perfect amount, have slightly crisp exterior, and a perfectly warm, soft interior. It's truly worth the wait!
Normally, I'm not a big fan of chilling dough, so just trust me on this one!
Can I Freeze these Homemade Funfetti Cookies?
Yes! You can freeze these before or after baking. I like to freeze them in balls to make baking easier. Cookie dough balls freeze well for up to 3 months. When it’s time to bake the cookies, remove them from the freezer. Preheat the oven according to the recipe’s instructions. Bake the cookies for a minute or two longer since the dough is frozen.
If you freeze the whole dough instead of freezing individual balls, allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then take out of the refrigerator and allow 30 minutes to come to room temperature to be able to handle the dough better.
Alternatively, you can freeze baked cookies in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.
How to Store Funfetti Cookies
Cookies are freshest when eaten the same day. Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. You can also leave a slice of sandwich bread in the bag with the cookies to keep them moist and tender.
More Cookie Recipes You'll Love
- Butterfinger Cookies - use your favorite candy bar in these fun chewy candy cookies.
- Frosted Sugar Cookie Bars - sugar cookie bars topped with a homemade buttercream frosting.
- Fudge Butter Cookie Pinwheels - quite possibly my all-time favorite cookie. Butter cookie dough swirled with fudge in these soft, delicate beauties.
- Marshmallow Oreo Chip Cookies - rich, decadent chocolate cookies loaded up with Oreos, marshmallows, and cookies-and-cream candy bars.
- Bakery Style Chocolate Chip Cookies - the best chocolate chip cookies on the planet. Perfectly chewy, big cookies with chocolate chips in every bite.
Homemade Funfetti Cookies Video
Homemade Funfetti Cookies
- ½ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract (optional, but recommended)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup rainbow jimmy sprinkles
- Using a mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the vanilla, almond extract, and egg. Beat well until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in rainbow sprinkles. Don't overmix or dough will change color.
- Scoop heaping tablespoon sized balls of dough. Roll into balls. Dip into additional sprinkles if desired. Place onto a lined baking sheet.
- Cover and chill dough balls in the refrigerator for 2 hours or the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Transfer chilled dough balls so that they're 1½-2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until the cookies are light golden brown around the edges.
- Remove cookies from oven and allow to sit on baking sheet for an additional 2-5 minutes until set. Transfer to a rack to finish cooling.
- Cookies should looks undone in the center when you pull them out from the oven. They will continue cooking as they cool. Cooking until the center is all the way done will make them tough and burnt.
- Storage: Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to one week.
- Make Ahead: Dough can be made ahead of time and rolled into balls. Chill the balls in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- Freezer Directions: Roll dough into balls before freezing. Dough balls freezer well for up to 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
These are so fun with all the rainbow sprinkles! The texture of these cookies sounds perfect and I love how easily they come together.
Ana F. says
I just made these funfetti cookies last night since I had all of the ingredients available and the kiddos loved them! I loved them too of course..so good and easy to make.
Terrific flavor in these cookies. And of course, they are so fun to look at! Thanks for the recipe.
Gina Abernathy says
So soft and buttery. The rainbow sprinkles made this a fun cookie to make and eat.
You had me at funfetti! These cookies are so soft in the center, I had to stop myself from eating them as soon as they were done. Tasty!
Tayler Ross says
Sprinkles make everything more fun! These cookies are a favorite here and we've made them several times!
My children adored these Homemade Funfetti Cookies! We had such a blast making and eating them. Great flavor and texture.
These are so cute! I love the simplicity, and the colors are perfect for any kind of party or gathering.
These are so fun to make and eat. My grandkids are going to love baking them with me.
Tayler Ross says
I've made these cookies several times and they always turn out perfectly! So fun and colorful too!
Oh these look so fun. My kids are going to love making these,
These would be perfect for the children's day party. Colorful, beautiful and yum looking cookies.