Mexican Breakfast Casserole is a make-ahead, overnight breakfast casserole, packed with flavor, cheese, eggs, and spicy chorizo. Great for holiday mornings and brunch get-togethers.
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
I’ll be honest and admit to you, that I’m a savory kind of girl. I almost always opt for savory over sweet, especially for breakfast. And this Mexican Breakfast Casserole hits that savory, spicy, cheesy spot. It’s flavorful and unique, and best of all, it’s an overnight casserole, so you throw it together the night before, then pop the Mexican Breakfast Casserole in the oven in the morning. Nothing better than waking up to a warm, tasty breakfast! Mexican Breakfast Casserole is also great for holiday mornings and brunches!
Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 4 jalapeno peppers
- 3 tablespoons butter separated
- 1 pound chorizo sausage
- 1/2 large onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 flour tortillas
- 10 large eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4-5 green onions finely sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- Optional: salsa and sour cream
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Halve your jalapenos, length-wise. Place in skillet, cut side down. Cook about 3-5 minutes, just until slightly tender. Remove the peppers from heat. Let cool then, then discard seeds
- Spread the jalapenos evenly in a greased 9"x13" baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook chorizo, onions, bell peppers, and garlic until chorizo is browned.
- Stir the chili powder into the chorizo mixture. Remove skillet from heat, and set aside.
- In a separate skillet, melt the remaining butter on medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla and cook until softened, about 30 seconds on each side. Repeat with remaining tortillas. You may need to add more butter.
- Cut the tortillas in quarters, and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, half & half, hot sauce, and black pepper until fully combined and a little bit bubbly.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine cheeses, cilantro, and green onions. Stir until combined.
- Spoon half of the sausage mixture over the peppers. Cover the sausage with half of the tortilla pieces, then top with half of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layers using the remaining ingredients.
- Pour egg mixture on top. Cover and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Bake at 350° for 60-90 minutes, until golden brown. You can test done-ness the same way you would with a cake. Simply insert a fork, and if it comes out clean it's ready.
- Let set for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa and sour cream.
If you liked this Mexican Breakfast Casserole Recipe, you might also like:
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.