Smoked Salmon Dip and spread is a cold dip recipe that's quick and easy to make, and packed with so much flavor. It uses simple ingredients such as smoked salmon, cream cheese, fresh herbs, and lemon that creates an irresistible appetizer or bagel spread.
Smoked Salmon Dip & Spread
I have delicious childhood memories of smearing as much store-bought smoked salmon cream cheese as could possibly fit onto one bagel and loving every bite. But let me tell you, there's no contest between that store-bought version, and this amazing homemade Smoked Salmon Dip and spread.
Smoked salmon dip is made with just a few simple ingredients including smoked salmon, fresh dill and chives, and lemon juice. It's whipped together into one incredibly flavorful, zesty dip.
It makes an elegant and delicious party dip, and is equally delicious smeared on a toasted bagel or sandwich.
How to Find High Quality Smoked Salmon
With smoked salmon being the star ingredient in this dip, it's important to use a high quality one.
High quality smoked salmon should be a deep, rich shade of pink or orange with a fresh, slightly sweet aroma. Smoked salmon should be smooth and silky, with a slightly firm texture that's not too dry or too oily.
Hot or Cold Smoked Salmon?
For this recipe, I prefer the thinly sliced cold smoked salmon. Hot smoked salmon can work, but the flavor will be a bit different. Also make sure it cools to room temperature before adding to the dip to avoid melting the cream cheese and wilting the herbs.
What Goes Well with Smoked Salmon?
Smoked salmon has a very rich, deep flavor. In my opinion, it is mildly reminiscent of smoked bacon. It can also often be pretty salty.
Smoked salmon is often served on a bagel with cream cheese. So the cream cheese flavor in this dip is inspired by that pairing. Lemon juice and fresh herbs, such as dill or chives, are also added to cut the richness of the smoked salmon.
Why Puree the Dip?
Giving the dip a few spins with an immersion blender or pulses in a food processor will really help all of the flavors meld together. You can absolutely skip this step if you want, but I highly recommend it to get the full range of smoky salmon flavor.
How to Serve Smoked Salmon Dip and Spread
Serve your smoked salmon dip cool with chips or crackers, such as bagel chips, crostini, pita chips or crackers, thin wheat crackers, or butter crackers. It will also go well with veggies such as baby carrots.
You can smear leftover spread on a toasted bagel for that lox-bagel flavor.
How Long Does Smoked Salmon Dip Keep?
Smoked salmon dip will keep up to 3 to 4 days covered tightly in the refrigerator.
More Cold Dip and Spread Recipes You'll Love
- Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball - a classic cheese ball recipe loaded with bacon and cheddar. It's an absolute hit at every party and celebration.
- BLT Dip - fresh and loaded with fresh tomatoes and crispy bacon, this dip tastes JUST like a BLT and is super simple to make.
- Easy Layered Taco Dip - this taco dip has layers of glorious southwest, Tex-Mex flavor including beans, cheese, zesty seasoned cream cheese, salsa, and all of your favorite taco toppings!
- Avocado Cilantro White Bean Dip - fresh and creamy and incredibly healthy! This dip is loaded with healthy fat, fiber, and protein. And it's so delicious, you won't even believe it's good for you too!
- Baba Ganoush - classic roasted eggplant dip that's super creamy and flavorful with just a few simple ingredients.
Smoked Salmon Dip Video
Smoked Salmon Dip
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives
- 6 ounces cold smoked salmon finely chopped, divided
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, mustard, and lemon juice until smooth
- Add dill, chives, and half the salmon and beat again slowly until combined.
- Fold in remaining salmon to preserve bigger pieces
- Cover and chill for at least an hour before serving.
- Serve with crackers, bagels, bagel chips, toasted baguettes, or veggies.
- Serve with bagel chips, pita chips or crackers, thin wheat crackers, or butter crackers. It can also make an excellent veggie dip.
- Make Ahead: This dip can be made the day before serving. Prepare the dip and store covered in the refrigerator.
- Storage: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 3 to 4 days.
UPDATE INFO: This recipe was originally published in December 2018. It was updated with new pictures, tips, and video and republished in September 2023.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!