Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak is a simple and easy comfort food dinner featuring tender, juicy ground beef patties slow simmered in a rich, onion gravy with mushrooms. These will quickly become a family favorite.
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
If you've ever had frozen Salisbury steak or lunch room Salisbury steak, and you think you don't like it.... think again! Maybe those versions had you running for the hills, but this slow cooker Salisbury steak version will have you making it again and again!
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak features tender, perfectly seasoned ground beef patties in the most decadent, savory onion gravy with mushrooms. You'll be licking your plate clean!
The slow cooker is perfect for this recipe because when the onions are slow cooked with the patties, they caramelize and break down, which sweetens them, flavors the gravy, and also thickens it! That's why this recipe is so cheap and simple. Because the onions do all the work!
What Is Salisbury Steak?
Salisbury steak is a ground beef comfort food that is a cross between a hamburger and meatloaf. It's a seasoned ground beef patty - like a hamburger- with bread crumbs and seasonings- like a meatloaf. Then it's simmered in a decadent savory onion gravy, in this case in the slow cooker.
Can You Put Raw Ground Beef in Your Slow Cooker?
Yes, you can. It's no different than putting any other raw meat in the slow cooker, such as a roast or chicken, and it will cook through just fine as long as it cooks long enough.
Can I Use Ground Turkey?
While ground beef is traditional in slow cooker Salisbury steak, you can use ground turkey as well or even ground pork.
Why is There No Onion Soup or Gravy Mix?
This slow cooker salisbury steak didn't need it! All of the necessary flavors are added from slow cooking the meat with thinly sliced onions and using spices from the pantry instead of packets. Onions caramelize and break down while slow cooking, thickening and richly flavoring the gravy.
Do I Have to Use Mushrooms?
No, you don't have to. Traditionally, Salisbury steak is prepared with mushrooms. However, they can be left out if you don't care for them.
How to Serve Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
Slow cooker Salisbury steak is slow simmered in a savory onion gravy that is absolutely divine when served over mashed potatoes. Serve it warm with mashed potatoes and a warm vegetable such as green beans, corn, cooked carrots, or peas or even a fresh green salad.
Another delicious way to serve it is over buttered egg noodles because they will also absorb all of the gravy flavor.
More Easy Ground Beef Recipes You'll Love
- Ground Beef Stroganoff - this easy weeknight meal is even better than the childhood version you remember. Perfectly savory and creamy served with egg noodles.
- American Goulash - Noodles and ground beef cooked in tomato sauce for a simple but delicious one pot meal.
- Taco Stuffed Shells - zesty, creamy, Southwest flavors steal the show in the dish with shells stuffed with a creamy, cheesy ground beef filling and topped with taco sauce.
- Crockpot Spaghetti and Meatballs - classic Italian meatballs with pasta, all cooked in the slow cooker (yes, even the spaghetti!)
- Southern Meatloaf - one of our family favorite meals and the best meatloaf you'll ever have.
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak Video
Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon ground thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion thinly sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white mushrooms
- 1½ cups water
- ⅓ cup red wine
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon beef base
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- ¼ cup cold water
- In a large mixing bowl, add ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, grated onion, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, and thyme. Mix together until combined.
- Form 8 patties, and set aside on a plate.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When skillet is hot, quickly sear the outside of the patties, 2 or 3 at a time. (Don't cook them all the way through.) Remove from skillet and transfer to bottom of slow cooker.
- When all patties have been browned, add onions and mushrooms to the skillet. Saute until onions are tender, about 3-5 minutes. Pour onion mixture on top of patties in slow cooker.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add all gravy ingredients except corn starch and 4 tablespoons water. Whisk together. Pour over patties in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove patties from slow cooker. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk corn starch and 4 tablespoons water together until combined. Whisk into the gravy mixture. (As you mix, the onions should be breaking down and thickening the gravy as well).
- Serve salisbury steak smothered in plenty of gravy!
- To thinly and evenly slice your onions, using a mandoline like this one is the easiest way (and a great tool to have around!
- Beef base: I use Better than Bouillon beef base, which is pretty easy to find at the store. You can also substitute all of the water for beef broth or stock instead.
- Storage: Store covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat in individual portions on microwave-safe plates in the microwave.
- Freezer Directions: Freeze uncooked patties flat on a baking sheet, then transfer to a freezer container for up to a month. Follow remaining recipe instructions and add patties when ready to use.
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!