Creamy Southern Red Potato Salad with red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, and relish. Once you try this amazing potato salad recipe, you’ll never make potato salad any other way! Perfect for potlucks, BBQs, cookouts, and basically every day!
Southern Red Potato Salad
There’s nothing better than a Southern Red Potato Salad, am I right? A real, homemade one though. I like to make this recipe at the beginning of the week and then serve it with whatever we’re having for the rest of the week. It’s creamy, delicious, and satisfying, so we don’t get sick of it. Plus it goes with all summer fare. Grilled chicken, steaks, hot dogs, burgers, sandwiches, pork chops, you name it! You just can’t go wrong!
To prep the potatoes, you can leave the skins on and just wash them really good or you can take the skins off. I usually cut the potatoes in half before boiling and then boil for about 20 minutes. I’ve been told by some southerners that I absolutely must cut the potatoes while they’re hot, but honestly I haven’t noticed a significant difference. And I prefer to not burn my fingers, so I usually end up waiting a few minutes until they’re still warm but not hot enough to hurt when I work with them.
Other than that, this Southern Red Potato Salad is pretty traditional, featuring red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, relish, and some jalapenos for a kick. Delicious!
Southern Red Potato Salad Recipe
Creamy Southern Red Potato Salad with red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, mayo, mustard, and relish. Once you try this amazing potato salad recipe, you'll never make potato salad any other way! Perfect for potlucks, BBQs, cookouts, and basically every day!
- 3 pounds red potatoes boiled until tender, rinsed in cold water, and cubed
- 8 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon finely minced jarred jalapeno slices
- In a large bowl, add mayo, sour cream, mustard, vinegar, relish, dill, salt, and pepper. Stir to fully combine.
- Add celery, red onion, and jalapenos to mayo mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add potatoes and hard boiled eggs. Fold into mayo mixture until potatoes are fully coated.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Serve cool
If you liked this Southern Red Potato Salad recipe, you might also like
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.