My grandma’s recipe for the BEST soft, chewy sugar cookies that hold their shape. We use this recipe for perfect sugar cookies for Christmas, birthdays, and every time there’s a sugar cookie craving.
Sugar Cookies that Hold Their Shape
With Christmas almost here, I wanted to share my absolute favorite go-to sugar cookies that hold their shape perfectly.
Now, these sugar cookies aren’t just for Christmas, of course. I use them for birthdays to cut out themed shapes and then flood them with royal icing. And I use them seriously, just any time I make sugar cookies for anything. It’s another one of my grandma’s recipes that I’m incredibly lucky to have (and share).
These sugar cookies are delicious, they’re easy to make, and did I mention they hold their shape perfectly.
Now, if you’re looking for soft sugar cookies, the trick is to slightly under bake. And bake times will differ based on how big your cut-out shape is. I like to bake a test cookie by itself, and start checking at 5 minutes. That way I’ll know exactly how long to cook the rest without ruining any (except for sometimes, maybe that one…).
Sugar Cookies that Hold Their Shape Recipe
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract or lemon or almond
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and beat well. Then add vanilla (or other flavoring) and mix again.
- Add dry ingredients and stir by hand with a large spoon.
- Roll cookies out on a floured surface using a floured rolling pin. Cut out cookies using a glass or cookie cutters.
- Place rolled out cookies on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350° for about 5-7, until lightly brown on the edges. Cool before frosting.
Recipe makes 1-2 dozen cookies depending on the size of your cookie cutter.
Nutrition facts are for 1 plain cookie, assuming your batch made 18 cookies.
If you liked this Sugar Cookies that Hold Their Shape recipe, you might also like
See More Cookies Recipes
See More Dessert Recipes
Never Miss a Thing!
Join our newsletter to get new recipes, tips, tricks, and tutorials every week!
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.